STAX SR-001 MK2?
Jan 24, 2004 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

reeseboisse

100+ Head-Fier
These phones have piqued my interest as of late, since they seem to be a decent candidate for my next set of cans. I figure that they aren't that expensive, they're electrostatic (and that's just cool!), and they're small. I know I've been running my mouth off about larger, more isolatiing models, but I'm a complex person, what can I say
evil_smiley.gif

Anyone heard these? I'm a pretty demanding listener, not least due to my extremely varied musical taste.

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 7
What may turn you off are:

- Rolled off treble
- Sucks batteries dry within a few hours
- extra slightly larger than cigarette-packet sized box to carry
- near-zero isolation
- works less well in wet weather, changes with air pressure in ears can produce 'scrunching noises'.

What will turn you on are:

- outstanding mids and bass
- mid texture... yes I said mids before but this is worth saying again
- in-ear or headphone functionality... earspeakers detach from headphone 'carrier'
- 580 volts in your ear

sr001sm.jpg

PCDP is a D-EJ2000 for size comparison.

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 7
That they roll downwards steeply if you look at a frequency response sheet. The SR-001 noticeably cuts out treble response compared to regular 'audiophile' phones like the Gratos or the Sennheisers.

Jan 24, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Everyone who has tried both and posted about it prefers Ety 4 to the Stax. (For the reasons given by Bangraman). If the Etys are outside your budget, you might consider the Shure line.

Jan 24, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Try getting an SRS-005 system instead. Unless you need a portable unit with battery power, the -005 will provide a much better sound. It uses the full Pro biasing at 580v, not the much lower voltage of the SRS-001 system. A used SRS-005 runs about $250, and should prove a lot better performer for the money when compared to the SRS-001 Mk II.

Jan 24, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 7
IRC, somebody posted on here about making up a battery PSU to give the Stax energiser a little more voltage.

Apparently that helps with the treble a little.

FWIW i've had the SR-001 for around five years now, possibly longer and have found them to be a great phone. Although I do have to agree with Bangraman on the battery situation. I normally get around 4 hours continuous use from Alkalines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back