Stax Sick of Canadian prices
Feb 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
I just missed out on a SR-Lambda Pro and SRM-1/MK-2 on ebay on the weekend just didn't time my bid out right at the end. Looked like a nice set
from the original owner. It ended up going for $569.99 US.

Same set just came up at canuckaudiomart and its even in the same city as me.

STAX Lambda headphones and Pro amp - Canuck Audio Mart

Headphone look really nice but $1200 CDN = $1139 US

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 18
I saw that during the hockey game (Go Canada!) today and thought, wow, $1200.

Good luck to him...I hope he chose the 90 day list option.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You think your pricing sucks?

wink.gif

Well we share the same continent and we gotta pay rediculous fees for packages going over the "border". Absolutely rediculous.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree they are over priced. I also live in Canada and I feel your pain bro. I have been lucky with customs/duties but its such a pain to find local distributors with decent prices.

Just to confirm, with NAFTA when shipping from the US, there are no duties, just PST/GST and determined by Canadian Customs.

I have imported a tone of gear from the US and never once had to pay duty.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Stax has officially left the U.S. so it's not like the U.S. has it any better.

huh? why are there so many retailers in the US that claim to be authorized dealers?

I mean sure the prices are unreasonably high, but i hadn't heard anything about stax "officially leaving the US".

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to confirm, with NAFTA when shipping from the US, there are no duties, just PST/GST and determined by Canadian Customs.

I have imported a tone of gear from the US and never once had to pay duty.

Same here...except when they ship with UPS I get a brokerage charge as well. Not so with FedEX or USPS.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here...except when they ship with UPS I get a brokerage charge as well. Not so with FedEX or USPS.

Exactly, but the brokerage fees are not duties imposed by the federal government. I always prefer the USPS/Canada Post route. It may take a little longer, but it's always cheaper.

The other advantage is that everyone has a post office down the street. For UPS, there is only 1 hub in the GTA for over 5 million people. It's not even central, its in the most north west corner. And if you live in the south west corner, you're pretty much screwed if someone can't be at home to accept the package.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 18
If you do not like the price tag then do not buy the item!
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, but the brokerage fees are not duties imposed by the federal government. I always prefer the USPS/Canada Post route. It may take a little longer, but it's always cheaper.

The other advantage is that everyone has a post office down the street. For UPS, there is only 1 hub in the GTA for over 5 million people. It's not even central, its in the most north west corner. And if you live in the south west corner, you're pretty much screwed if someone can't be at home to accept the package.

Are you sure, here in our area there are corner stores which are agents for UPS and FEDex. And we are only about 700,000pop. so I can not imagine only one for TO.

B
beyersmile.png

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 18
jaycalgary,

I was outbid on that eBay listing too. My max bid wasn't high enough. I was SHOCKED when I saw it went to about $600 Canadian!

What's this older Stax equipment really worth anyway? This guy's not going to be $1000 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back