Stax Repair
Apr 8, 2004 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ken B

Head-Fier
Does anyone know if there will be a problem getting Stax equipment repaired in the US after the warrantee expires for units that was purchased directly from Japan. I have heard stories that Stax Distributors/repair centers for North America refused to repair anything that was not imported by them.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 7
I don't know how this works for sure. If it was imported, yet outside the warranty, their record keeping would have to be quite incredible to have info that old. I guess if you don't volunteer the info and just ask to pay for the service for repairing some Stax cans outside of the warranty period they might do it.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 7
I am considering purchasing a used 4040 system. So the importer would have a list of the serial numbers of units they had actually imported. I know they will not repair anything under the warranty, but I do not know if they are legally obligated to do repairs after the warranty expires or if the customer is willing to pay for the repairs.

Apr 8, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 7
In this case, no they won't do any work on the Stax. If they did everyone would buy them and just have repairs done if they went bad.

So far two people here have had problems with their Stax gear, and that is rare. It cost about $20-25 to send a pair to Japan, plus repairs and return shipping and you could do this a pretty large number of times before it equalled the cost of the same Stax gear imported to the US. Thankfully, Stax stuff lasts an awefully long time, making repairs quite infrequent.

Apr 8, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 7
The stax amplifiers dying is ultra rare, and usually easy
to fix if it does die. The diaphrams last years and years
(i have some 30 years old that still work fine) and if one
does die, you can buy replacement diaphrams
(if they still exist by then) from a couple of different places.

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Could you imagine buying a Mercedes in Europe, importing it to the US and not being able to get it serviced because it was not imported by MBNA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back