500+ Head-Fier
http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Speakers.htm

[size=medium] STAX
SR-40 / SRD-4
Circa 80's
[/size]
[size=x-small]
for sale
The classic and original Stax headphones. Like the others we have had these need to have new wires installed as one side is intermittent, but the do work and sound fine. Electrostatic speakers provide incredible accuracy. Designed to connect to the outputs of your receiver / amplifier. The rotary switch on the front of the interface allows selection between phones or your speakers.
As-Is
[/size]
[size=medium] $85.

[/size]
[size=x-small]dunno if someone would think of this as a good deal, but im putting it out there.[/size]

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 7
yeah, a bit high.

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Far from being the "original Stax headphones", it was Stax's first attempt at a cost-reduced electret-type electrostatic, and in many ways a disappointment even when it was introduced. Interesting that they're selling it with such an allegedly minor problem-- if it was so minor, why didn't they fix it?

I agree: Pass.

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, I think the only reasons to pick up an SR-40 are:

1: It's cheap. Like under $25 including the transformer box.

2: You're a collector, and just need to fill that slot in the collection.

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2: You're a collector, and just need to fill that slot in the collection.

Even I don't need them that badly...
tongue.gif

Stay away from the electrets because you can still get some the real electrostatics for the same price.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 7
SR-3N > SR-40 in spite of the age.

SR-3N will go for $30 or about ( for just the headphone ). My advise is to wait for a proper stat rather than an electret. Both are still going to need at least a T-amp and youll get more fun from the true one.

jm2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back