Stax quandry ,should I ?
Oct 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

paula47

New Head-Fier
Well, I am getting really confused and need your help,
I really like Stax, probably SRS3170 SYSTEM which has  307 driver and 323s amp , but really like Grado GS 1000i coupled with Schiit Asguard amp , as I am heavily into rock What should I really be doing here???
Paula

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 15
The Stax system you propose is sort of "entry level" and not really your best option for rock music. The amp in that system is really a very good Stax amp that can reproduce great sound with one of the higher Stax headphones. If you can stretch your budget a little and move up to the 407 with the 323S you will get a big jump in sound quality. I have the 4170 system and I think it is excellent. The Grado you suggest is way different than either Stax system. If you don't have the ability to try out these choices you might be safer going with your Grado for rock as that is where those hp's are at their best. The 307 is not going to produce the deep tight bass that you will get from the Grados. The 323S can do a great job on rock music but you will need at least the 407 to hear the true benefit of that amp. Don't get me wrong, the 3170 is a good system and it will give you that Stax transparency but it won't equal the Grado punch for rock music. A little up the Stax line and I think you would be very happy but that is going to cost more.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 15
What's stopping him from EQing the bass up a little for more low-end punch?

All the Lambdas I've tried respond pretty well to EQ/bass boost, and I like my SR-Lambda quite a lot for rock. (But that's a vintage model with rebuilt drivers at that. Very different sound from the current numerical Lambdas.)

That said, Stax and Grado are about as different as you can get. Best to audition each if you can and go with your preferences.

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 15
That said, Stax and Grado are about as different as you can get. Best to audition each if you can and go with your preferences.

Listen to the SR-X Mk3 Pro someday. It's the headphone that Grado should have been making all along.

I think electrostatics can do quite well for rock, but you need a very beefy amp behind many 'stats to get them to really open up and sing. Properly driven there really aren't that many compromises. Except of course the price.

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for your very astute comment, but if it was possible then I wouldn't be asking , would I .
Paula

Astute, no. A bit sarcastic, yes. Those are two very different set ups. And a sizable $$$ investment.
That's why I mentioned some meet time to sort it all out.. There are lots of other setups that may also
fit the bill for less. Grado or Hifiman for rock, Stax for all round listening.
And don't be surprized that a year from now you go a different direction. Welcome to head-fi.
Surrender you wallet now and no one gets hurt!

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Listen to the SR-X Mk3 Pro someday. It's the headphone that Grado should have been making all along.

Personally I think the LCD-2 is the headphone Grado should have been making all along,
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 15
Let's start over.
Facts make for a better discussion.

What gear do you own or have owned in the past?

You must of heard both systems to cause this question to come up.
other than us just picking our favorites, please list the pros and cons you found in either setup.
We can then comment on how to improve upon the cons or suggest gear that better matches what
you really prefer. It's kinda like a dating site. the more input you provide, the better matches you will get.
Either system is a fine choice, but without some more info, WE CAN"T HELP YOU.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
I think electrostatics can do quite well for rock, but you need a very beefy amp behind many 'stats to get them to really open up and sing. Properly driven there really aren't that many compromises. Except of course the price.

Will do, if I can find and afford it to begin with.

The general impression people have of the Normal bias SR-X/Mk3 (going by that since the Pro bias variant is quite rare) is that it's Grado on steroids or what Grado should be, it seems. Not that I've heard a Grado to compare...

The only thing is, the one thing I've heard about Grado headphones in general is that even though they're open, they're also said to have a small soundstage. Same for the SR-X/Mk3 when compared to the Lambdas. I like my soundstage as 3D as it can get; it brings out the positional cues in binaural mixes better that way, and I don't mind a large soundstage for listening to rock or anything else.

Then again, I'm already pretty happy with my SR-Lambda + SRD-7/SB + TX-SV515PRO setup for everything I listen to. If anything, I need to stop trying to buy every bit of Stax equipment that's within a price I can afford...well, maybe unless it's another SR-Lambda.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 15
Well nameless pfg, I know Johnny Cash did a boy  named Sue , but never have I  been  a "HIM" as in your observation as to 'what's stopping him".
I might jingle when I walk but it's not from Testicles.
Paula

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 15
PP312- You in Oz too !
There is a space between "walk  and the next word, lets keep it in context please., you know what I mean surely.....the operative woed is" BUT " .
Anyway thanks the situation is resolved, my husband has just bought some lovely HD800"s so now don't have an issue as to which one's
Paula

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

It is indeed an amazing piece of kit. 
The thing with Stax is that the better your system the better it gets. If you compare a vintage one (let's say the SRX from the 70's-80's) to an other ortho or dynamic from the same era but with a modern DAC the difference is even more striking, Stax goes ahead by a long way.
They were clearly ahead of their time.

I wouldn't use an SR-X Pro for rock though (I would if the recordings were properly mixed, but they simply aren't) the the sound they decided to "create" for the SR007 is more appealing for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back