STAX owners/lovers/haters/ your views
Nov 29, 2001 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
oh,I strongly suggest you to rent a Britney Spears "MTV". Maybe you'd say Britney Spears isn't that bad after all.
smily_headphones1.gif

I found that most people who have very high-end equipments don't listen to pop music.

Sorry I did not mean to offend. [yet]

You are right I have not listened to a Britney cd I am sure she sounds nice and paletable and easy to listen to.

I am sure she is doing very well out of her mass market product
and millions are enjoying it,would she do as well without the
nymphet looks as hers like many is a multi media product hence:
rent a Music Telivision video not borrow a cd.

If by pop music you mean the bulk bubblegum stuff, then no
I do not buy it[not unless it has been mutated into somthing
all the more interesting by some evil dj]

I personally like all sorts of styles from mellow to ear callouse
stuff.

Still any music is better than no music

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

You are right I have not listened to a Britney cd I am sure she sounds nice and paletable and easy to listen to.

No no no, I just wanted to say that you may find watching Britney spears is quite enjoyable. Of course I was not talking her music.

I think pop = beer, Classical and Jazz = fine wine.

People will start drinking beer at the beginning, but gradually some will drink fine wine only as their taste grows.
The same as hi-fi.

Nov 29, 2001 at 5:25 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
I just found a pair of Amati Homages on UBID for 40 bucks!!
(Ubids servers will now be overloaded by mad headfiers.)
By the way I was kidding.
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I think you just started a stampede!! And then when folks read the "kidding" part, the emergency rooms all over the world were overloaded with neck injurys from people putting on the brakes so suddenly
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

No no no, I just wanted to say that you may find watching Britney spears is quite enjoyable. Of course I was not talking her music.

I think pop = beer, Classical and Jazz = fine wine.

People will start drinking beer at the beginning, but gradually some will drink fine wine only as their taste grows.
The same as hi-fi.

I had a suspicion about that as I did read somewhere here
that "that people don,t listen to Britney tyey watch"
was that you?

Also Me thinks you insult beer...mmmmm....beer
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #21 of 32
haha, I just copied that few lines from another head-fier.

Quote:

Also Me thinks you insult beer...mmmmm....beer

Nah, just the opposit, beer ALWAYS insults me. I'm the one who will be drunk after 3-4 beers.

Nov 29, 2001 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

haha, I just copied that few lines from another head-fier.

Nah, just the opposit, beer ALWAYS insults me. I'm the one who will be drunk after 3-4 beers.

That does,t sound like an insult to me quite the opposite
thats beer doing you the honour of saving your hard won
money!

Nov 29, 2001 at 6:16 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

That does,t sound like an insult to me quite the opposite thats beer doing you the honour of saving your hard won
money!

I wish you were right. And where every I go, I'll get some free beer cause my friends know I cannot drink that much. Just one beer and I'll be done.

But I once took 5 shots of "Absolute Volka" and ended up at the hospital. I almost killed myself that night. And I had to pay $300 for the bills. So alcohol is not so cheap for me though.

"Alcohol in the hands of PC Corp is not just a minus problem."

Anyway, good music is what I want, not beer.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 6:47 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

I wish you were right. And where every I go, I'll get some free beer cause my friends know I cannot drink that much. Just one beer and I'll be done.

But I once took 5 shots of "Absolute Volka" and ended up at the hospital. I almost killed myself that night. And I had to pay $300 for the bills. So alcohol is not so cheap for me though.

"Alcohol in the hands of PC Corp is not just a minus problem."

Anyway, good music is what I want, not beer.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh dear near death experience, thats serious.

Nov 29, 2001 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 32
It really amazes me to read some of this stuff in these views. The Stax headphones such as the SR 404 signatures can be had for about $500.00 without their adapter, and therein lies the problem (or not). The Stax adapter, whether tube or solid-state, is the problem - both sound like ****. One has only to go to Headwize and look at several schematics that are posted there. In particular, look at Kevin Gilmore's schematic for the Stax or Sennheiser phones! Anybody with the most basic skills, one who can read and follow instructions, one who can differentiate between a transistor and a tube, and one willing to save big bucks - and I mean major money, can build a "tube amplifier", specifically for the Stax - (hi or low bias), or for the Sennheiser phones. Not only would the project teach you 'deneens' something about electronics, but if you complete the project you would have a headphone/amp combo that is second to none!! Yes, I build three (3) of these amps - just substituding different components (lets see, whats the flavor of the day??) Along comes the rich kids Orpheus - the idiot paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $12000.00 for this thing - yeah, I like them glowing tubes, but my Stax/amp combination (SR404 Signatures/Keving Gilmore tube amp leaves nothing to dissappoint. Its got everythng the much touted Orpheus has, and then some. Best of all, one can build this amp for under $500.00, a huge savings even when compared with any of the Stax units. Think about it - the headphones themselfes are really not the problem - its the power-unit that has major impact on the way these phones sound. If your running Stax like I am, you owe it to yourself to give this amp an audition - you will not be dissappointed. (Maybe if you could play some decent analoge, the majic will be even more pronounced)

Nov 29, 2001 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Again, the best cans I've ever tried are HD580's.

Well, that's nothing to cough at! Properly driven, the HD580 are one of the 10 or 15 best headphones on the planet
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 9:04 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by monger
It really amazes me to read some of this stuff in these views. The Stax headphones such as the SR 404 signatures can be had for about $500.00 without their adapter, and therein lies the problem (or not). The Stax adapter, whether tube or solid-state, is the problem - both sound like ****. One has only to go to Headwize and look at several schematics that are posted there. In particular, look at Kevin Gilmore's schematic for the Stax or Sennheiser phones! Anybody with the most basic skills, one who can read and follow instructions, one who can differentiate between a transistor and a tube, and one willing to save big bucks - and I mean major money, can build a "tube amplifier", specifically for the Stax - (hi or low bias), or for the Sennheiser phones. Not only would the project teach you 'deneens' something about electronics, but if you complete the project you would have a headphone/amp combo that is second to none!! Yes, I build three (3) of these amps - just substituding different components (lets see, whats the flavor of the day??) Along comes the rich kids Orpheus - the idiot paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $12000.00 for this thing - yeah, I like them glowing tubes, but my Stax/amp combination (SR404 Signatures/Keving Gilmore tube amp leaves nothing to dissappoint. Its got everythng the much touted Orpheus has, and then some. Best of all, one can build this amp for under $500.00, a huge savings even when compared with any of the Stax units. Think about it - the headphones themselfes are really not the problem - its the power-unit that has major impact on the way these phones sound. If your running Stax like I am, you owe it to yourself to give this amp an audition - you will not be dissappointed. (Maybe if you could play some decent analoge, the majic will be even more pronounced)

I think "sounds like ****" is putting a little strongly, my set up when warmed up sounds great, but I am well tempted to have
go at one of kevin,s my self, I like his approach.
and of course you can ram it full of high grade parts.

one question [bass impact related ] have you or anyone experimented with earpad spacing etc with the 404s.
I decided to have a mess around after some peoples comments
regarding impact,at present I am listening to some music with the
pads rear lower corner raised a little.. certainly tunes the bass
somewhat differently! It,s easy to tune to various music,s bass content to add a bit more whump without a heavy boom factor.
And yes superior amping is no doubt the way forward.
I use the 006 amp in my set up by the way,
the awful thing,
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #28 of 32
I've owned the SR-3030 system before and wasn't impressed. I like the MDR-R10s much better, especially when combined with a high end tube amp.

Nov 30, 2001 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 32
of course everyone has their own preference, as was said before, like some people make fun of me because i don´t ever or have ever gotten the same enjoyment out of any other headphones, and i have heard many, including orpheus, K1000, and Omega 2´s, than the Grado RA-1/RS-1 combo. To me, there really are no better headphones than Grado. My idiot friend that knows nothing about audio says his V700DJ´s sound 100% better because they have stronger bass.... it´s all in preference, different strokes for different folks (sorry vertigo for stealing your line, lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back