Stax owners: How does it feel to go from a dynamic phone to a Stax setup?
Jul 17, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
I would say get the 313/404.

The difference between that and the 3030 system is less than one hundred dollars, and there is a noticeable upgrade in sound quality. I bought it a little less than a month ago and am very satisfied.

What other headphones have you heard in reference to your stax setup? 650s?

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
What other headphones have you heard in reference to your stax setup? 650s?

HD650, 600, 3030, 4040, SA5000.

I did a lot of auditioning with those in a store, so I was able to switch between them at the speed of sound. It is only my preference, and I am not a fan of the 650s, but I do prefer 313/404 since its price is significantly less than that of the 4040 system.

I have also compared them to my ER4 and MDR7506.

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #19 of 22
On Lambda Basic (similar to 2020) - first reaction: WOW. After long listening period ... coming back to senn is a relief, can't say exactly why. At least it's less dramatic than coming back to dynamic speakers from electrostatic ones.

Cosmopragma, do you think it's thinner membranes that caused improvement going from 2020 to above, or the amps ? Did you try some mix and match ?

Joey_V, if they're within your budget then by all means go get 'em. They present a different kind of sound that's so pleasing, nice and clean. The mids are just wonderful and scaringly real. People who dislike stats are in minority - most people who've tried stats never look back.

Jul 18, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Cosmopragma, do you think it's thinner membranes that caused improvement going from 2020 to above, or the amps ? Did you try some mix and match ?

I owned them both for a period of 4 weeks and naturally I've mixed cans/amps.Both the headphones and the amp of the 3030 system are an improvement, the basic headphones don't sound the same as the 303s driven by the more sophisticated amp.

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #22 of 22
The Stax system will show you things about your source you may not want to know.
evil_smiley.gif

Biggest difference I experienced in moving to a Stax system was the qualitative difference in bass. It's there, but bass is heard with the Stax rather than felt as it is with a dynamic setup. You learn to listen in a new way. Aside from that, the Stax soundstage was a revelation.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back