Stax or Shangri-La
Jun 18, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 4
IMO, the Shangri-La Jr is an electrostatic Hifiman. Do you like the Hifiman sound? If so, you will probably like the Jr, as it's a smoother rendition of the usual Hifiman tuning. Stax do something different, though it depends on which Stax you're talking about. The new Stax (L-series advanced lambas) are tuned differently from the old Lambdas (e.g. 404/303/Lambda Pro), and the Lambdas don't sound like the round Staxen either (007/009/X9000). I personally prefer my Jr over my L700mk2, but I keep the Stax around because it's just a different presentation and sound that is still good, but in different ways. I know some people who recently heard the two at a meet where I brought them clearly preferred the L700mk2, while another one favored the Jr over even the Susvara. The Stax tuning is more unique, but if you don't like that sound yet still want an estat, then I'd say either the Jr or the Audeze CRBN are options to explore. And the DCA Corina, though I haven't heard that one (it seems to measure more similarly to the CRBN than the Jr or the Staxen).

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 4
IMO, the Shangri-La Jr is an electrostatic Hifiman. Do you like the Hifiman sound? If so, you will probably like the Jr, as it's a smoother rendition of the usual Hifiman tuning. Stax do something different, though it depends on which Stax you're talking about. The new Stax (L-series advanced lambas) are tuned differently from the old Lambdas (e.g. 404/303/Lambda Pro), and the Lambdas don't sound like the round Staxen either (007/009/X9000). I personally prefer my Jr over my L700mk2, but I keep the Stax around because it's just a different presentation and sound that is still good, but in different ways. I know some people who recently heard the two at a meet where I brought them clearly preferred the L700mk2, while another one favored the Jr over even the Susvara. The Stax tuning is more unique, but if you don't like that sound yet still want an estat, then I'd say either the Jr or the Audeze CRBN are options to explore. And the DCA Corina, though I haven't heard that one (it seems to measure more similarly to the CRBN than the Jr or the Staxen).
Thanks, I’m looking at selling my DCS Lina stack to go all in on e-stats. I always had great Hi-end e_stat speakers and miss them. I am looking the the JR pairing with the Lina DCA and Star or CRBD cans as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back