STAX or HD800?
Oct 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 112
Stax, also gets my vote. I recently auditioned the 800s at a meet, and I was impressed. They were some of the best dynamics I ever heard. But I do like my staxs better. They excel at dynamics, speed, and resolution. The imaging is also superb. But like I said, the 800s are the some of the best dynamics I ever heard, so you can't go wrong with them. But if I had to pick between the two, stax would be my choice.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, the Stax amplifiers aren't set in the standard 120v that is used in the US. You have to buy either a Headamp or Woo to drive them. Or you have to get a converter.

Not true my 717 was made for the US market

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #18 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can change the voltage on most Stax amps to whatever standard you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true my 717 was made for the US market

So, how come? How do you get a japanese stax driver unit and set it to your country's voltage? The srm-252 is the easiest one to use anywhere in the world. Just need to buy a power adapter.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 112
Stax, without a doubt!
I do not question that the HD800 can sound really nice, but from what I heard I fail to see how it can compete with an O2. Price wise there should be no mayor difference either.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, how come? How do you get a japanese stax driver unit and set it to your country's voltage? The srm-252 is the easiest one to use anywhere in the world. Just need to buy a power adapter.

Through the official US Stax importer is the only way I know of.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 112
I have heard both multiple times and now own the hd800. I can clearly say that to my tastes, the hd800 is a better headphone than the stax and I don't believe I was heavily biased or anything as I was considering buying one or the other.

I was impressed with the hd800 EVERY time i heard it. The Stax never really showed me that it was much better than other headphones around.

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 112
I love the "speed, resolution, and dynamics" argument when it's used against drivers that are lighter than a good many tweeters out there.

Listen to both and decide what you like yourself. Neither is technically superior. They only have the sound signatures they do because of how they're designed ultimately.

You may even find out you dislike both in the end, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 112
I agree with that. Each one has it advantages, but each one does provide a different presentation. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. So the only way to truly know which is better for you is to audition both. Try going to some meets. But it's like trying to decide between two exotic sports cars. They both are excellent choices.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #24 of 112
wow, now I even got more confused..haha Anyway, I agree that I should audition them first, but this is where 'Midwest sux' comes in play. No proper place to audition them around my area. If you buy Stax from Japan, is it much cheaper than here? I will be moving to Korea next year, so the Japanese voltage is alright with me.

Oct 14, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #25 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, now I even got more confused..haha Anyway, I agree that I should audition them first, but this is where 'Midwest sux' comes in play. No proper place to audition them around my area. If you buy Stax from Japan, is it much cheaper than here? I will be moving to Korea next year, so the Japanese voltage is alright with me.

South Korea and Japan use different voltage system! South Korea use both 110V 60HZ and 220V 60HZ because I have been there. I don't know about north Korea, never plan to go there anyway.

Electricity around the world: everything about plugs, sockets, voltages, converters, etc.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #26 of 112
I really like the HD800 on a good amp but the STAX O2/SRM-717 combo is tough to beat. It can also take all the source you can give it...I have $20K worth of analog going into it and it begs for even more. While the HD800 is deadly good, I don't feel it can resolve the differences in mega-buck sources like the STAX can(or Sennheiser HE60/HE90).

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #27 of 112
I would go with HD800, because you can use that amp to drive other phones too. Someday sometimes there will be a new phone on the market you want to try it out.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #28 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someday sometimes there will be a new phone on the market you want to try it out.

This is true. I might save for next generation STAX or something outrageously innovative, until then enjoy HD800.
Any prediction for HD800 price going down toward Xmas?

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 112
Oct 15, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #30 of 112
I don't really think words can describe the difference between those two types of headphones. Should you buy used Stax ($100-$200) to familiar with its sound first? Beside it is easy to resale cheap Stax and get most of your money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back