Stax Omega2 amp selection
May 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

audiofil

500+ Head-Fier
I've found a really attractive deal for an Omega2 mk1 setup.
The seller offers me an option of two amplifiers: SRM007T or an older version of Headamp KGSS.

The first option is considerably cheaper, by 500$.
As far as I know this is the original Omega2 system sold by Stax, It's the very same, and only, system I've listened to (years ago) and impressed me very much. The seller advised a tube replacement.
I'm not sure about which tubes go best with 007T, nor what they cost.

The KGSS is described as "an early version" made by Justin of Headamp.
The seller also mentioned 1500$ as original retail price, which is the only difference I can detect from the KGSS sold today by Headamp (for 2295$).
I'm not sure what "early version KGSS" means or how it's different from the contemporary KGSS. Visually they seem identical.

So...
From an experience and budget point of view I lean towards SRM-007T. However the added cost of new tubes and a lesser reputation (compared to other amps) holds me back from choosing it.
From what I've read KGSS is one of the amps for O2. The only thing that holds me back is the "early version" description.

I appreciate any input or advice.

May 15, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Try both and decide yourself then send back one. But if you read head-fi instead of listening you must take the KGSS. Stax amps are detested here. Maybe Stax Company should become a sponsor... :wink:.

May 15, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Stax amps aren't detested here. It's just that there are some non-Stax amps that are better (KGSS, KGBH. etc.) and some maybe better value (eXStata?). I have an SRM-T1W, bought used for a good price, and it's a nice amp.

Go for the KGSS. I think $500 more is worth it over a 007t, especially for the O2mk1. That "early version" is probably the same type that I had, in a large black basic somewhat ugly DIY-looking enclosure with dual silver volume controls. I sold it through a local audio shop which also sells the Stax amps, so buyers could compare a new 007tII or 717 versus that more expensive, and arguably uglier, used KGSS. It sold very quickly.

Tubes for a 007t shouldn't cost a lot, so don't worry too much about that. You can worry about tubes when you get a BH.
smile.gif

May 15, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you all for your replies.
I went ahead and made the payment for O2 & KGSS.

Quote:
That "early version" is probably the same type that I had, in a large black basic somewhat ugly DIY-looking enclosure with dual silver volume controls.

This is very similar to what the seller explained to me after a second round of questions - a cruder finished box, same innards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back