Stax Omega system - OK if switched to US voltage?
Jun 20, 2007 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
I can buy someone's Omega II's with 007 amp but the amp was from Japan and switched to run on U.S. voltage.

Is there any reason not to buy the system?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Not really. The warranty is Japan based so if it brakes it has to go back but Stax rarely breaks so it's not really an issue. One word of warning is that you put new pads on the O2's if you are buying used. When they start to go bad the sound changes dramatically and that was only after 2.5 years on my set.

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 11
spritzer, thanks. i wasn't worried about the warranty but whether or not switching the voltage might have caused any negative impact on the sound. what do you think?

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 11
Id say "only" 2.5 years given how much time you probably spend with your set is quite a high mileage Spritzer. I'm assuming that what went was the actual foam padding, not the leather?

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spritzer, thanks. i wasn't worried about the warranty but whether or not switching the voltage might have caused any negative impact on the sound. what do you think?

It has no effect on the sound. All that is done is to rearrange the primary connections and that has effect on the sound because it was all in use before but connected differently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id say "only" 2.5 years given how much time you probably spend with your set is quite a high mileage Spritzer. I'm assuming that what went was the actual foam padding, not the leather?

The leather is fine but the foam went all soft and mushy. It's very noticeable because they weren't as comfortable as when they were new and I couldn't seem to get the right fit. It's normal wear and tear and because the pads are such a big part of the sound they have to be replaced. It's the same with all Stax phones. When they have lost their firm, springy nature they need to be replaced. I just ordered 500$ worth of earpads from Audio Cubes so I take it pretty seriously
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can buy someone's Omega II's with 007 amp but the amp was from Japan and switched to run on U.S. voltage.

Is there any reason not to buy the system?

Thanks

no. just buy em.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When they have lost their firm, springy nature they need to be replaced. I just ordered 500$ worth of earpads from Audio Cubes so I take it pretty seriously
tongue.gif

Spritzer. When we are talking about the Omega II earpads. Do you know a place to order replacements for the black Omega II earpads?

I ordered a set of black earpads from Audio Cubes II (advertised as black on the website) earlier this year, but I received the brown ones.
At least I have a spare set of foam though...

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer. When we are talking about the Omega II earpads. Do you know a place to order replacements for the black Omega II earpads?

I ordered a set of black earpads from Audio Cubes II (advertised as black on the website) earlier this year, but I received the brown ones.
At least I have a spare set of foam though...

Have you tried EIFL of the Scandinavian distributor? When the Mk2 is released it should be pretty simple to get them but until then those two are your best options.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried EIFL of the Scandinavian distributor?

I will try EIFL.
If no luck I will visit my local Stax dealer, which just happens to be the Scandinavian distributor. I bought my Omega II system from them and I am sure they can help me out. But it wont be cheap

Quote:

When the Mk2 is released it should be pretty simple to get them but until then those two are your best options.

Forgot about that.
The Omega II seems to be going nowhere, so I can just hang on until the MK2 are released and buy directly from a Japanese dealer.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Mains power in Japan is 100v, in the states it's anywhere between 110 and 120v.

So, you're probably just fine, but you can also open it up and move some jumpers around to set it for US power, iirc.

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot about that.
The Omega II seems to be going nowhere, so I can just hang on until the MK2 are released and buy directly from a Japanese dealer.

I would do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mains power in Japan is 100v, in the states it's anywhere between 110 and 120v.

So, you're probably just fine, but you can also open it up and move some jumpers around to set it for US power, iirc.

The amp has already been switched internally so this isn't an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back