Stax Omega II cable issue =(
Jun 20, 2010 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I pretty much went dark when I got my O2 but four years later and getting tugged on by my 1 and 3 year old one side of the right ear goes off unless there is upward pressure on it.  What I don't know is if its a cut in the sheath at the ear connector or at the post.

So two questions.  Anyone in NA repair Stax cabling?  Two, how can I get it partially apart to see what I'm dealing with?  Thanks in advance.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 14
The cable entry on the SR-007 is very tricky to fix so a new cable would be your best bet.  Now if you can get one then it is pretty easy to install but you have to know what you are doing.  The cable is soldered directly to the drivers and one mistake while soldering will destoy them.  Your best bet would be to send the cans to Stax to have them do it as from what I've seen, almost none of the cable builders here on HF know how to solder...

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 14
understatement of the century!  there are so many beautiful cables from both the DIY and Commercial offerings, yet time and time again they do a closeup of the soldering and I shudder at the dirty, dull, blob of cold solder mess

Quote:
Your best bet would be to send the cans to Stax to have them do it as from what I've seen, almost none of the cable builders here on HF know how to solder...

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 14
to be fair even a good RoHS lead free solder joint can look "frosty" and would have been deservedly viewed with suspicion if leaded solder were used

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Well the good news is Yamasinc isn't the only show in town.  HighEnd Workshop in the UK has agreed to repair my Stax.  The price is pretty reasonable, except for shipping but who didn't see that coming 
wink_face.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
The cable entry on the SR-007 is very tricky to fix so a new cable would be your best bet.  Now if you can get one then it is pretty easy to install but you have to know what you are doing.  The cable is soldered directly to the drivers and one mistake while soldering will destoy them.  Your best bet would be to send the cans to Stax to have them do it as from what I've seen, almost none of the cable builders here on HF know how to solder...

*Cough* I know what you mean, I'm never ever going to attempt that soldering job myself again.

Having said that, I did succeed in replacing the cable, but only just.

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 14
For the cost to have someone else do it, its not worth the risk to me.  HighEnd Workshop wants 30 for the labour.  No brainer to me.  Now if only I could drive over to avoid the kick in the head that is shipping 
wink_face.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #13 of 14
My repair with HighEnd Workshop went smooth as butter and Mark is agreeable to more NA business if you are as nice as I am =)  He's reachable at service@highendworkshop.co.uk

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Got them back today and boy oh they look new =)  I've been assembling some dynamic/ortho competition and frankly its going to be one hell of an uphill battle.  The O2/KGSS is just stomping all over the Senn 800 and HE-5LE.  Will revisit them after my b22 arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back