Stax Omega 2 Owners: How do you position your pads?
Dec 25, 2003 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I'm working on a review of the Omega 2 vs. the HE90, and one thing I've noticed about the Omega 2 is that the sound changes a fair amount depending on how you position the pads. Now, it would be rather impractical to do a review of the Omega 2 at each pad position, while if I review them at a position that it turns out nobody uses then my review is less than useful. So, I ask you, what position do you use, and why?

Dec 25, 2003 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
I'm working on a review of the Omega 2 vs. the HE90, and one thing I've noticed about the Omega 2 is that the sound changes a fair amount depending on how you position the pads. Now, it would be rather impractical to do a review of the Omega 2 at each pad position, while if I review them at a position that it turns out nobody uses then my review is less than useful. So, I ask you, what position do you use, and why?

Hi eric343,

I think that the position of the pads is just one, but you can adjust for each ear for the best result of isolation. The larger leather side on the back just to compensate the groove on your nape. I even tested the different sound responce with other position, but you can easily perceive the "right" sound adjusting the pads during the listening section with the can on your head.

If you look (for example) the R10 the fixed pads are built exactely with the larger side on your back.

I hope this help!

I'm very,very interested in your rew about the two electrostatics cans, I can't wait for it... do it soonest as possible!!!!!

Best!
Nicola

Jan 25, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 9
GAAAAAWWWDD, I wish I had found this thread earlier.

When I FIRST got the Omega II's, I was SO annoyed by the fact that the thin part of the pad was lifting off of my head slightly, etc. I repositioned the "D" so that the "spine" of the D was tilted back somewhat, so that the thickest part would be at approximately 8 o'clock below and behind my ear.

However, one day, that spine had been turned so that it stood upright. I put it on and had that almond-sliver of a vent to the upper front of my ear. All of a sudden, voices took on a new, more realistic body and tone, the sound "relaxed" and MORE detail was flowing into my ear. In other words, more "reality," more body, but with better tone and more realistic resolution.

MY THEORY with regard to this: the bass on the Omega II's is clearly quite powerful. In my subjective experience, what I was hearing was bass reflecting back to the driver and smearing detail. When it has that almond-sliver of a "port" to vent from, you get all the bass, you perceive more of it AND it is immediately allowed to vent out, so it doesn't reflect back on the driver.

I NEVER listen now without that slight vent. My vent usually happens either to the upper top right of my ear (if you are looking at the ear from the side and my head is pointing right).

There is one small problem, though: while the vent is fresh each time I put the cans on, it eventually "settles in" and the thin parts begin to touch my head, rather than subtly float off the sides of it. I have to "refresh" this in various ways (like taking the cans off, stretching the transducer housings outwards and then returning to my head, for example).

A WORD OF WARNING: I used to have the SR-303's and then the SR-404's. As anyone who's tried them knows, the pads have a highly human head-customized "seal" on your head versus that of the Omega II's. When you do a little slight "lifty-lifty" action on them, the bass DOES increase, however, detail blurs. It seems the *exact opposite* with the Omegas, though! Detail increases, naturalness INcreases, bass increases and most of all, BELIEVABILITY increases.

For me, this made the subtle psychological difference between "listening to headphones" and "listening to music." It was a subtle SONIC shift, but a LARGE perceptual shift.

I'd be interested in a mass-experiment to see if my observations are reproducible for other Omega II owners. Doug P. already privately dissed my idea (as well as his pre-emptive diss of it in an earlier thread about this, as linked to above), so were 1-and-1 so far.

Any other takers?

- Sir Mister Matt

Jan 25, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
I'd be interested in a mass-experiment to see if my observations are reproducible for other Omega II owners. Doug P. already privately dissed my idea (as well as his pre-emptive diss of it in an earlier thread about this, as linked to above), so we're 1-and-1 so far.

I didn't diss it in either case, just answered your question. I haven't found anything conclusive about whether or not the slight lifting of an ear pad is totally beneficial, or increases bass yet obscures other things. You can reread the above post where all I do is ask other's opinions about it and state that the bass increases. Nothing more. Darth Nut definitely dislikes doing this, not me. So far my slightly rounder head makes it difficult to set the pads down without getting a seal. It seems that almost no matter how I position the pads I get a seal. The only way for me to slightly beark the seal is to lift the pads up, making things not so easy to maintain a steady distance from face to pad, thus varying the seal and the sound.

So far I am still undecided on how this works/affects the sound. I like the added impact it brings, but need to spend way more time doing this before I make a conclusion.

We also, or at least I, have seen that the CDP makes a bit of a difference. I find the Omegas to be a little bass shy in my system, but grinch and Denis find that it has tons of bass. The common factor is that they both have a Cary 306/200. I don't. The Cary is reported online by reviews as being a very bassy machine, which could account for this phenomenon.

Jan 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
So far my slightly rounder head makes it difficult to set the pads down without getting a seal. It seems that almost no matter how I position the pads I get a seal. The only way for me to slightly beark the seal is to lift the pads up, making things not so easy to maintain a steady distance from face to pad, thus varying the seal and the sound.

See, for me, I get a "floating" phenomena from a nice portion of the thinner part of the pad right away, but then that decreases (ultimately to a seal) over listening time, as the pads warm up. The float is just a little slight sliver, even maybe *just* caressing my skin, forming possibly a very small, penetrable seal. But it feels like the thinnest region is floating very closely and possibly like it's *just* caressing my skin.

If you have to hold the buggers, well, what can I say?

I can say this, though: over multiple experiments, I have personally determined that I get surprisingly more natural-sounding vocals, instruments, etc. with both more naturally chesty bass (sorry, but real bass does not sound like what a sealed Omega II on my ears sounds like) and more detail throughout the frequency range due to this "bass port" phenomenon, allowing the bass to vent rather than being diverted back into the driver. Again, the SONICS do not necessarilyi change markedly, it's just my perception of the realism of the sonics. Vocals surpise and instruments delight on a *regular* basis. This is not as much the case when I get a tight-ish, all-around seal with these cans.

- Sir Mister Matt

Jan 25, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 9
I wonder if taking a hole punch to these things would be a good idea? Maybe add one small hole thru both sides of the pads, and the cushion between. This would give you a "bass port" that would allow you to wear them normally and get a normal seal, but maintain a port to allow the pent up energy to escape.

I think its the standing waves that Matt described that obscures some of the details and messes with the bass when totally sealed. The allowance for air to escape will lessen or eliminate the standing waves from the bass that cause problems with the rest of the audio spectrum.

Jan 25, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

I haven't found anything conclusive about whether or not the slight lifting of an ear pad is totally beneficial, or increases bass yet obscures other things.

Secondly, I think the latter *definitely* happens with SR-303's (did it many times with the 303's...tried it maybe once with the 404's). Details smear badly, bass gets heavy and boomy, etc.

HOWever, on the Omegas, to my perceptions, I am definitely getting the better of both worlds: bass stepped up to more natural, realistic levels, and detail enhanced to the point where I am both hearing subtlties better AND "believing in the music" more.

- Sir Mr. Matt

Jan 25, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I wonder if taking a hole punch to these things would be a good idea? Maybe add one small hole thru both sides of the pads, and the cushion between. This would give you a "bass port" that would allow you to wear them normally and get a normal seal, but maintain a port to allow the pent up energy to escape.

I think its the standing waves that Matt described that obscures some of the details and messes with the bass when totally sealed. The allowance for air to escape will lessen or eliminate the standing waves from the bass that cause problems with the rest of the audio spectrum.

Your hole punch idea is a good one...now let's see if anyone steps up to the plate to do it with their $75 pads! I guess since I am the one pushing it, I ought to do it, but in case you haven't guessed yet...no way! I am getting a great "vent" as it is, so there you go.

If "a perfect seal" is the criteria for good sound w/Staxs, then the pads of the Omega II's fails on every count, and the "classic" style reigns triumphant. However, I am far more inclined to believe that the "crap for sealing" design of the Omega's pads is to allow that venting. I'd be interested in what the company itself had to say, but come on, the design of those pads is a major oversight if "a perfect seal" is the ideal.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back