Stax O2 + SRD7mk2/pro vs amp impressions?
Apr 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kabeer

Vintage Ortho Ninja 🥷
Hiya,

Can anyone who has tried the Stax 007 (mk1 or mk2) on both a SRD7mk2 (or pro) tell me what they felt was lacking/better vs using it with a dedicated Stax amp?

Even better if someone has tried a custom built transformer and can give impressions of that.

(i know that the SRD7 arent the ideal solution, I would just like to get more knowledge from those who have tried and understand the exact differences).

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't own this particular combination, but I have listened to it (Mikeymad's rig) fairly extensively at the last 2 NorCal meets. I do own a pair of SR-303's and an SRD-7 which I drive with a large SET amp. Sonics are definitely different from any of the purpose-built electrostatic amps.

On the negative side, there is some loss of detail, roll off of the frequency extremes, and some smearing. Part of this is probably due to the nature of running back to back output transformers. Another part may be due to the likliehood that the SRD-7 units were built to a price point that precluded the use of top quality transformers.

On the positive side, the headphones now take on the character of the driving amp. If you're a DHT fan, you can now listen to your electrostats with 300-B's or 845's. The midrange acquires a warmth, fullness, and body, that to me at least, is often on the short side of traditional electrostatic rigs.

I took a stab at a DIY elctrostatic amp with DHT's and output transformers for the last Canjam. The results were mixed, but definitely encouraging enough to merit further exploration of this topology.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own this particular combination, but I have listened to it (Mikeymad's rig) fairly extensively at the last 2 NorCal meets. I do own a pair of SR-303's and an SRD-7 which I drive with a large SET amp. Sonics are definitely different from any of the purpose-built electrostatic amps.

On the negative side, there is some loss of detail, roll off of the frequency extremes, and some smearing. Part of this is probably due to the nature of running back to back output transformers. Another part may be due to the likliehood that the SRD-7 units were built to a price point that precluded the use of top quality transformers.

On the positive side, the headphones now take on the character of the driving amp. If you're a DHT fan, you can now listen to your electrostats with 300-B's or 845's. The midrange acquires a warmth, fullness, and body, that to me at least, is often on the short side of traditional electrostatic rigs.

I took a stab at a DIY elctrostatic amp with DHT's and output transformers for the last Canjam. The results were mixed, but definitely encouraging enough to merit further exploration of this topology.

Thanks for the informative post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back