STAX LAMBDAS - 404 vs LAMBDA NOVA SIGNATURE vs NOVA CLASSIC
Jun 18, 2009 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

edstrelow

Headphoneus Supremus
I am putting this edit at the top of the original post because I think it is significant. Some time after I did the comparison in this post, I started looking into the effect of the foam installed behind the Lambdas driver. In brief I found it to be a significant factor in boosting the midrange of these phones but at the same time causing some of the 'etch' that some complain about with these phones. As well removing the foam backing opens up the soundfield. I have now removed the foam on the 404 and the Signature. The Nova has been sold so I don't know what this would sound like removed. See

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/s...ambdas-443060/

Another edit, as I have recently discovered that my "Signature" is not that at all but is in fact a Lambda Nova Signature, the second  Lambda to be called a  Signature.  Please bear that in mind when reading this posting.  I bought and paid for a Signature but evidently my seller was unaware of what he was selling, dishonest or both.

The Stax Lambda is probably the most common electrostatic headphone ever made. It first appeared in 1979, and there are 4 current models, the 202, 303, 404 and 404 Limited Edition.

404LIMITED-Photo-1-s400.png

There is regular debate in these forums about the merits and demerits of these and the other Lambda models, and since I recently found myself the owner of three Lambdas, the Nova Classic, the 404 and the Signature I decided to spend some time (about 2 weeks) comparing these one pair at a time.

LAMBDA MODELS

The first Lambda model was a low bias phone but all others were high bias, starting with the Lambda Pro in 1982, the Signature in 1987, 3 Lambda Nova's in 1994,(Basic, Classic and Signature,) the 202,303 and 404 in 1999 and the 404 Limited this year. That's 10 by my count. Three Lambdas have been called Signature, the original Signature, a Nova Signature (also called LNS) and the 404 which has "Signature" on its band.

The Lambda was originally a re-design of the Sigma which preceeded the Lambda by a few years. It is essentially a flattened and compressed Sigma

The only other contender in the number of stat phones sold would be the Koss 950 which is about a 20 year old design but hasn't had the modifications of the Lambda line. However, I doubt that the total of 950's sold exceeds the total of all Lambdas sold.

DIFFERENCES IN CONSTRUCTION

However, in spite of there being 10 types of Lambda, other than color and cord style, the newest phones look almost identical to the earliest designs. The differences among them in construction are fairly subtle, but still give each Lambda type a different sound signature.

Fistly, there are at least 4 cable types, a round cable on the original Sigma, but flat cables afterwards on the Lambdas. The Signature cable is slightly wider, the 404 (the same as used with the Omega) is even wider and there is apparently a new cable on the 404 Limited. The later, and more expensive cables show less measured capacitance.

Secondly, The material of the drivers has become thinner over the years, although apparently the Signature is thinner than the 404 and 303 but only by a slight margin. Thinner diaphragms would, all other things being equal have a better transient response.

Thirdly, it also appears that the stators have changed over the years with variations in the shape and spacing of the perforations.

Fourthly, some Lambdas have more damping behind the drivers than others.

Spritzer has also suggested that different models may have different tension applied to the diaphragm and that even the type of glue could change sound.

LISTENING SET-UP

I did all my listening using a Stax 717 amp with 2 phones plugged in at the same time. I tried to warm up the system for at least an hour before listening and kept the same 2 phones in for a few days before switching to another pair.

My source was a CEC transport/CD player, and a Musical Fidelity A3 24 DAC with Monarchy Jitter reducer. I used 5 test pieces Brahms 1'st Symphony with St Martins in the Fields(Hansler recording), Verdi's La Traviatia (Decca), Brian Wilson' Smile, Pink Floyd The Wall and the Beatles Sgt Pepper.

404 VS SIGNATURE

In direct comparison of these two, it was evident that the 404 had considerably more upper midrange than the Signature, however it also had a bit more bass. The Signature had a slight tizziness in the high frequency region, probably close to the top of hearing. The 404 sounded warmer and made sounds seem closer, the Signature had a colder, distant sound but was nevertheless very open sounding.

With the Brahms, the 404 showed more detail. In the Verdi opera the perspective of the singers was good, with the Signature, but the tenor sounded somewhat as if he had a head cold, probably due to the reduced midrange. The lesser bass of the Signature was evident in all the rock pieces, as was some loss of ambience. I had a slight preference for the Signature playing Wilson's Smile but the other pieces sounded a bit better on the 404.

I was left with mixed feeling about these two phones, I could see that the reduced midrange of the Signature gave it an appealling tonal balance. Especially when you first put on the Signatures they sound very open and a bit less "in the head." The 404 sometimes seemed to bring sound sources very close by comparison, at times too close. However with extended listening, the loss of midrange detail and slightly weaker bass of the Signature became somewhat off-putting.

Listening levels had some effect on my feelings for these phones. With the Signature, I felt I was getting a Fletcher-Munson curve equalization applied to the sound, i.e. a boost in bass and treble which, gave these phones a better sound at low listening levels. However, cranked up in volume, the 404 put on a better show and its upper midrange prominence was less of a problem.

Fletcher–Munson curves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

404 vs Nova

The Brahms was surpisingly listenable and well-balanced on the Nova. The 404 sounded slightly tizzy in the high frequencies and the upper mid range peak was very evident. However listening to the Verdi through the Nova, again made the tenor sound like he had a head cold and the overall sound was a bit cold. The 404 was warmer, had more detail, deep bass and ambience. Wilson's Smile also had more ambience with the 404 and the 404 sounded better at higher volumes. With the Nova, Sgt Pepper was slightly dull sounding.

Nova vs Signature

Listening to the Brahms symphony, the Signature had a more open, airy sound than the Nova, however, it also sounded colder and lacking in detail. Both phones sounded somewhat cool with the Verdi, but the tenor's head cold seemed worse with the Signature. The Signature's lack of midrange detail was somewhat compensated by its better resolution both in bass and treble. With Wilson's Smile, the Nova sounded warm but veiled. The Signature showed more punch and more bass detail, although it also had a slight treble tizziness. With the Nova, Sgt Pepper sounded a bit more coherent across the midrange, but the Signature had better bass but again with a slight tizziness at the top end.

GENERAL CONCLUSIONS

Each of these phones is a respectable performer with no major flaws such as would make it unsuitable for general use. For example, the lack of bass in the Stax SRXMk3 is in my opinion an example of a flaw which renders that interesting phone ultimately frustrating. While each of these phones has some issues, these do not rise to that level of problem.

The 404 has somewhat of an edge as an all-round performer because of its combination of better bass, detail, and ambience. However, there is no denying its upper midrange peak and this may be too much for some listeners. This may be somewhat tamed by tweaks, and this peakiness is less of an issue at high volumes, because following Fletcher-Munsen's analysis, the bass and treble are subjectively louder at higher volumes, thus minimizing the mid-range peak.

Next in my esteem is the Signature. I understand why this phone has so many admirers. Upon first hearing it sounds open, airy and very listenable. I think that these phones would have a high level of acceptance among many listeners just because of their impact on first hearing. However it has a slight treble tizziness and its bass is a bit less impactfull than the 404. As well, upon continued use however it seems to have too little midrange and detail.

The Nova is a good all-round performer, with no vices, but as compared to the other two phones, no exceptional virtues either. It sounds slightly veiled and lacks some of the ambience and subtle detail of the other 2 phones, although its better midrange makes up for some of this, at least as against the Signature.

The usual caveats apply here, these impressions are my opinions, based on my other listening equipment. Having just spent a lot of time at Canjam listening to other set-ups, I became more aware of how much different amps and supporting equipment can change the respective quality of different phones. Each of these phones is scalable, i.e, capable of improvement with better sources.

Tonal changes can be produced through the use of different IC's and even powercords. I personally recommend Silclear, a silver based contact enhancer. It tends to boost bass and generally smooth out the sound in a manner which seems particularly suitable with the Lambdas. After I was done with the listening comparisons, I reapplied fresh Silclear and was struck both by the general improvement in sound and the extent to which these three models sounded more alike.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 42
Ed, nice one. Pity you didn't have a LNS to try in the comparison. I wonder if the cable makes much difference?

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 42
Nice writeup this will hopefully stop a lot of the same question being asked.

I would say however just as john has pointed out it would be nice to have seen the LNS reviewed.

I would like to add the following. I simultaneously owned the Lambda original (ribbon cable version) and the Lambda signature and the lambda pro.

Without going into details that have been discussed before i would say that they rank in the order listed above with the lambda pro being very low in my ratings.

I listened to all three over the space of some months using an SRD7 MkII,
SRD7 MKII Self bias and an SRMT1W the sound of the normal lambda just seemed right without any noticable flaws with the signatures a very close second.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 42
Really nice write-up!
lambda.gif
smile.gif

There have been quite a lot of Lambda models during the 30 years they have been around, and it is really nice to see Stax topping it all up (so far) with the SR-404 Limited.

I quite like the SR-404, and hence decided to keep it.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 42
Great writeup Ed and I agree about the ranking. If you can stand the peak on the SR-404 then it is a great headphone. The Nova can be a bit unimpressive but some of that is due to the earpads. The stock units were crap so switching over to SR-303 earpads could breath some life into them.

You did how ever leave out 3 Lambda models, the Airbow SR-SC1 which doesn't sound anything like a SR-404 (even though it is identical from the outside) and the Lambda Spirit which was the first cheap Lambda, released in 1992. The third model is the western version of the Lambda Spirit, called the Pro Classic but the only change was the name.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 42
It would be very nice to see some comparison reviews of the other 7 Lambda models. Possibly someone who has one or more can make such a comparative assessment in this thread or in a new one.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 42
I did start work on a comparison between all of the major Lambda models (SR-Lambda, L-Pro, Sig's, LNS, 404 and SC1) back in the day but I can't remeber how far I got before abandoning it. My version of a review though is a two paragraph bit about the sound and then two pages about the evolution of the design...
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice writeup this will hopefully stop a lot of the same question being asked.

I would say however just as john has pointed out it would be nice to have seen the LNS reviewed.

I would like to add the following. I simultaneously owned the Lambda original (ribbon cable version) and the Lambda signature and the lambda pro.

Without going into details that have been discussed before i would say that they rank in the order listed above with the lambda pro being very low in my ratings.

I listened to all three over the space of some months using an SRD7 MkII,
SRD7 MKII Self bias and an SRMT1W the sound of the normal lambda just seemed right without any noticable flaws with the signatures a very close second.

It's been a very long time since I heard the original Lambda and I don't even remember much about them. However, I do have an original Sigma and it sounds pretty good. But what about the dynamics issue, does high bias operation give better dynamics, drive, oomph, PRAT or whatever you call it?

Your's is a strong vote for the low bias Lambda. Did the flat cable make a difference? Now that I think about it more I am not sure that any low bias Lambda had a round cable although the low bias Sigma did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great writeup Ed and I agree about the ranking. If you can stand the peak on the SR-404 then it is a great headphone. The Nova can be a bit unimpressive but some of that is due to the earpads. The stock units were crap so switching over to SR-303 earpads could breath some life into them.

You did how ever leave out 3 Lambda models, the Airbow SR-SC1 which doesn't sound anything like a SR-404 (even though it is identical from the outside) and the Lambda Spirit which was the first cheap Lambda, released in 1992. The third model is the western version of the Lambda Spirit, called the Pro Classic but the only change was the name.

I did see something about the Spirit system in the Stax history list but assumed the phone was just another Lambda by a different name. I am not familiar with the Pro Classic, is it on the Stax history list? I forgot about the Airbow. I have never heard one and don't know much about it. Obviously it doesn't make it onto Stax's history page.

Anyway let's get some more comparisons done. Anyone who's got 2 different Lambdas should record their impressions.

The Lambdas may not be the best stat phones ever made but I find it fascinating that they have been around for so long and that there has been so much modification and experimentation with phones that look identical on the outside.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did see something about the Spirit system in the Stax history list but assumed the phone was just another Lambda by a different name. I am not familiar with the Pro Classic, is it on the Stax history list? I forgot about the Airbow. I have never heard one and don't know much about it. Obviously it doesn't make it onto Stax's history page.

The Pro Classic is identical to the Spirit but since it isn't a Japan model then they don't count to Stax. The history page is highly flawed too since it doesn't even list the SR-2 which was a production model. I even have the Hi-fi News review from 1968...

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been a very long time since I heard the original Lambda and I don't even remember much about them. However, I do have an original Sigma and it sounds pretty good. But what about the dynamics issue, does high bias operation give better dynamics, drive, oomph, PRAT or whatever you call it?

Your's is a strong vote for the low bias Lambda. Did the flat cable make a difference? Now that I think about it more I am not sure that any low bias Lambda had a round cable although the low bias Sigma did.

I wasn't aware of a round cable lambda either. In dynamic terms yes the pro bias does give more bass / oomph but in my opinion it's at the expense of midrange. The normal bias has the best mids in my opinion but out of the three lambdas i owned the signature would probably be a better all rounder. If it hadn't been for the o2's i would still probably have both the normal and signature lambdas. I would say though that i would have liked to have tried out a set of LNS as from what i've read they apparently have the benefits of both of these lambdas.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed, nice one. Pity you didn't have a LNS to try in the comparison. I wonder if the cable makes much difference?

I like my LNS better than any other Lambda variations. I compared it to Nova Basic, Pro, Signature, SR-404, SR-303 and original Lambda. Nova Basic vs LNS is like SR-202 vs SR-404, but LNS does not have that hot upper mids problem.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Too bad I never heard Classic.
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 42
I like my normal bias Lambdas more than the others I have owned (sold off two Lambda Pro and one Lambda Signature). They are a great match with my GES. I tried some Headphile woodied Airbow Lambda Pro and didn't like them either.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 42
I like the Signatures considerably more than the SR Lambda...I'm actually surprised to see so many posts recently favoring the lambda over the lambda sig. To me, there's a noticeable improvement in transparency and involvement with the signatures. Detail and imaging are also slightly better. The lambda's don't get much use anymore, but they're still excellent themselves.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Signatures considerably more than the SR Lambda...I'm actually surprised to see so many posts recently favoring the lambda over the lambda sig. To me, there's a noticeable improvement in transparency and involvement with the signatures. Detail and imaging are also slightly better. The lambda's don't get much use anymore, but they're still excellent themselves.

The Lambda Sig had a little more body to the instruments, and a little more detail, at the expense of a little too much brightness. I didn't think they sucked or anything, and at first I did like them more. The Lambda Pro I never liked without EQ (midrange suckout).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back