Stax Lambda variants and SQ differences
Dec 5, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cans are older than many members here!
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Holy cow - wait, that makes my SR-X mk. 3 the same age as I am!! No wonder I dig them so much!
wink.gif

One keeps thinking that Electrostatics are a delicate item. In fact they may last a life-time with reasonable care. Two of my Sigmas, are 25 years old, although both have been rebuilt to higher pro and 404 standards, respectively. Both suffered mechanical breaks, one of the Arc assembly and cable and the other of a transducer when a cable was yanked out of the earcup. I now have another original Sigma which has got to be of a comparable vintage and it is still pristine.

Aside from the durability of these phones, the other fact of note is that their performance is such that they remain prized by audiophiles decades after their manufacture.

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 1987 Lambda Signature and the Nova Basic. I prefer the Signature on most things, but I wouldn't call the Nova Basic bad or lacking. In fact, I'd say they're equally competent, just different. I suspect MacHead's Nova Sig has problems, just as he says, but I can't be of any help pointing to a likely cause, I'm afraid. Is it in one channel or both channels? Play a mono source and see if the channels match.

Both channels are the same, so whatever caused the "problem" was even-handed about it!

That makes the SQ differences I'm hearing all the more mysterious. I really like the Lambda Signature sound: they have a hint of darkness that's reminiscent of Omega IIs but I quickly adapt to it. The Nova Signatures, OTOH, are particularly awful with, for example, a female vocalist -- Rickie Lee Jones sounds as if she's standing behind her band, somewhere at the back of the studio (except that the soundstage doesn't betray any sense of distance). The only thing I like about the Novas is the extra treble extension compared with the Lambda Signatures.

And if it makes any difference, I have fitted both pairs of earspeakers with new pads, complete with foam (hence my earlier musings about whether vacuum cleaners may have been employed by their previous owners).

I think ultimately I'll have to hook up an equalizer and determine what it takes to make the Nova Signatures sound as good as the Lambda Signatures.

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
Both channels are the same, so whatever caused the "problem" was even-handed about it!

Does the "mono image" dance on the tip of your nose and nowhere else?

Quote:

Lambda Signature sound: they have a hint of darkness that's reminiscent of Omega IIs..

Darkness? Really? I've always considered them bright, if anything. Maybe this hint of darkness shows up with program material that lies primarily in the frequency region before the treble rise.

Mistah Koss-- He dead.

Couldn't resist. That's from Hint Of Darkness by Joe Conrad, of course.

Quote:

Rickie Lee Jones sounds as if she's standing behind her band, somewhere at the back of the studio (except that the soundstage doesn't betray any sense of distance).

Whoa! That doesn't sound right. Has this headphone ever been repaired?

Quote:

I have fitted both pairs of earspeakers with new pads...

If the new pads don't seal airtight against the baffle, it's possible to have some soundstage anomalies, but they'd be minor.

Quote:

The only thing I like about the Novas is the extra treble extension compared with the Lambda Signatures.

Wow! The Lambda Sigs are spec'd up to 80kHz! How far does the Nova Sig go?

Quote:

I think ultimately I'll have to hook up an equalizer and determine what it takes to make the Nova Signatures sound as good as the Lambda Signatures.

This could be revealing. Even better would be to send test tones from a tone generator.

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #19 of 26
Anyone knows what diaphragm Lambda Spirit has?

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #20 of 26
Jan 28, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #24 of 26
It's just simply a late model designation for the European market.
(The late Gamma Pro also had a "New" version with different earpads, although it only said it on the box.)
Quite strange but Stax was always a bit unusual for the European market. I know there's Alpha Pro Excellent and it looks like the Gamma Pro "New" is the export variant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back