STAX Lambda Pro usage questions...
May 9, 2003 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

demario

New Head-Fier
Hi:

I just acquired a used pair of STAX Lambda Pro headphones and an SRD-P STAX amp -- sadly, no manual was included for either and I'm a STAX newbie. I have a few questions regarding usage, best practices, etc.

1) When I first turned everything on, I heard a VERY noticeable high-pitched squeal/chirping coming from the right headphone only -- the left side was perfectly quiet. Changing the volume on the SRD-P did NOT affect the squeal volume -- it remained constant. I left the phones on for awhile (2-4 hours) and when I came back, the squeal was not as noticeable, but still present. After 6 hours or so, it is barely audible, but still there a bit. Any ideas what is happening? Are my phones bad/broken in some way?

2) I've read that STAX need to "charge up". How long does this take? Is this what I'm experiencing in 1) above? What is the best way/procedure for charging them up?

3) Is it better to plug the phones into the 5-pin socket, then turn on the SRD-P -- or better to turn on the SRD-P first, then plug in the phones?

4) Should I leave them on all time, or is it OK to power down and unplug the phones between listening sessions?

Thank you so much!
-Phil

May 9, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by demario
Hi:

I just acquired a used pair of STAX Lambda Pro headphones and an SRD-P STAX amp -- sadly, no manual was included for either and I'm a STAX newbie. I have a few questions regarding usage, best practices, etc.

1) When I first turned everything on, I heard a VERY noticeable high-pitched squeal/chirping coming from the right headphone only -- the left side was perfectly quiet. Changing the volume on the SRD-P did NOT affect the squeal volume -- it remained constant. I left the phones on for awhile (2-4 hours) and when I came back, the squeal was not as noticeable, but still present. After 6 hours or so, it is barely audible, but still there a bit. Any ideas what is happening? Are my phones bad/broken in some way?

2) I've read that STAX need to "charge up". How long does this take? Is this what I'm experiencing in 1) above? What is the best way/procedure for charging them up?

3) Is it better to plug the phones into the 5-pin socket, then turn on the SRD-P -- or better to turn on the SRD-P first, then plug in the phones?

4) Should I leave them on all time, or is it OK to power down and unplug the phones between listening sessions?

Thank you so much!
-Phil

Sounds like something's definitely wrong. They should be dead quiet at all times.

May 9, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Sounds like something's definitely wrong. They should be dead quiet at all times.

Ok -- anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

May 9, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Ok -- anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? No-one has had similar issues with STAX?

In all likelihood the amp. The headphone, if defective, would go dead, not make some sound. I had to replace the drivers on my Lambda's a few years ago. They simply went dead. They have to hold an electrostatic charge to work, much like static electricity. Once that fails, they go dead, not make high-pitched sounds.

May 9, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
In all likelihood the amp. The headphone, if defective, would go dead, not make some sound. I had to replace the drivers on my Lambda's a few years ago. They simply went dead. They have to hold an electrostatic charge to work, much like static electricity. Once that fails, they go dead, not make high-pitched sounds.

Thanks Mike -- since my SRD-P isn't one of the higher-end STAX amps, replacing/upgrading it is a more welcome option than replacing the phones.

I saw a post in the archives that described a situation where the diaphragm gets bent, and needs to be "straightened out" by charging. Does this make any sense in context of my problem?

May 9, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Thanks Mike -- since my SRD-P isn't one of the higher-end STAX amps, replacing/upgrading it is a more welcome option than replacing the phones.

I saw a post in the archives that described a situation where the diaphragm gets bent, and needs to be "straightened out" by charging. Does this make any sense in context of my problem?

I suggest you call Stax before asking anyone here, as they'll probably have the correct answer right off. They have Stax technicians on the premises.

http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/Overseas.html

Mori****a & Associates Limited
#713-2895 Derry Road East,
Mississauga, Ontario, L4T 1A6
Canada
Tel 1-416-244-6200
Fax 1-416-246-0829
E-mail info@mori****a.net
http://www.mori****a.net
http://www.mori****a.net/service.html
Mr. Harold Mori****a

Feb 19, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 18
this squeaking is exactly my problem with my Lambda Pros. What happened to yours finally?

The problem wasnt so noticable as in the beginning and now its annoying. It came up while burning in the headphones I think.

Feb 19, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Hi,

You have the same set-up that I do. I have never heard that problem but I agree that it could be the amp. I wonder if it could also be broken insulation in the cable causing a ground loop? To see if it is the amp/adaptor you could take the headphone to a Stax show room near you. Plug it into their amp and if you do not hear the sound than you know where the problem lies. I have had the SRD-P for more than 15 years and it appears to be almost indestructible. Someone else suggested that it could be hair.

Also if you live in the US and near So. Calif. Yama's Inc. is the US distributor.

http://www.yamasinc.com

Believe it or not, except for the 212, the phones cost less than the amps/adapters, sorry. And, if you want portable you will need to get the SRD-P fixed if that is the problem. The 212 is not portable and the portable unit that comes with the SR-001 has a different connector, not the 5 pin.

Peter

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Hey, I have a set of 404s that also does the squeak (kinda sounds like a funny little alien drawing a bow across a string?) right channel only.

Narrowed it down to the 404s themselves, by swapping 303s and them between 313 and 006t driver amps, ie the 404 squeaks with either driver amp, and the 303 with neither. Also the 404 does not squeak when plugged into the "normal" jack, with I believe lower bias voltage. Also does not sound as good...

I was thinking of leakage in the diaphragm causing issues with higher bias voltage? Humidity? Sweat?

Anybody else for a bigger statistical sample? Squeakers all live within a couple of miles or kilometers from the ocean?

Feb 20, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 18
Hi,

I left the amp with the headphones on overnight while playing nothing and the squeaking almost dissapeared. Its quiter but it is still there and only on the right channel.

I hope it stops completely!

Feb 20, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Also the 404 does not squeak when plugged into the "normal" jack, with I believe lower bias voltage. Also does not sound as good...

wildmonkey I had this same symptom. At "normal" there was no squeaking. Or so I thought. It is there too but you really have to have a DEAD silent environment and be young enough for your hearing to allow you to notice it. Try it out and it probably is there at the normal plug too, but only in much lower volume.

Feb 20, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by wildmonkeysects
Hey, I have a set of 404s that also does the squeak (kinda sounds like a funny little alien drawing a bow across a string?) right channel only.

Narrowed it down to the 404s themselves, by swapping 303s and them between 313 and 006t driver amps, ie the 404 squeaks with either driver amp, and the 303 with neither. Also the 404 does not squeak when plugged into the "normal" jack, with I believe lower bias voltage. Also does not sound as good...

I was thinking of leakage in the diaphragm causing issues with higher bias voltage? Humidity? Sweat?

Anybody else for a bigger statistical sample? Squeakers all live within a couple of miles or kilometers from the ocean?

My HE-60 and HEV-70 also have had this, right after the mailman delivered the phones they had this squeak in one channel, I can't remeber which.
After about 30 mins or so it stopped, I blame it on humidity - cold.
Whatever the cause, it completely dissapeared since.....

Feb 22, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 18
How does one remove the ear pads of the Stax 303/404 to have a close look inside---do they velcro off ala Sennheiser 600s? I would prefer that ripping sound to be velcro rather than glue!

I'm guessing that there is a small piece of dust/hair, as they lived in a very, well, hairy, environ with the ex a while back.

That would correlate with the sounds of the "squeak", something discharging in an erratic manner. Besides with the ex...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back