Stax Lambda Pro on its way...need amp suggestions
Aug 27, 2006 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
Well, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Stax Lambda Pro electrostatics (practically NOS from Headphile's deal page
smily_headphones1.gif
). So I'm looking for an amp for it. I'm new to the electrostatic world and my budget is ~$500-700. I've been looking at a few options from Audiocubes, but I wondered if people have some good suggestions for the Lambda Pro specifically.

Another option would be to build the KGSS electrostatic amp or even the Blue Hawaii. Of course the best I've heard these is out of an ES-1, but that's out of the question right now....so....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
thrice

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Personally, i have an srm-1/mk-2 and im almost done building a KGSS. Its not a simple project, and has taken me a long time to finish (and im not done yet, still need all panel components and need to make the stepped attenuators), but from what i have heard, its a very nice step up from the srm-1/mk-2. You can probably get the parts for under $600 depending on the attenuator you use and the transformer and a few other expensive parts. Blue hawaii will probably run you a bit more because of the tubes.
If you think you are up to it, have the time, and think its worth the effort, i would reccomend building one of the two gilmore designs. Personally, it just sounds so much sweeter when you know you built part of what you are listening to.

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Since you have the skills, I would recommend looking at building your own amp as well. From impressions here, the gilmore design seems to be superior to any of the stax amps and you could do it for your budget.

Another option would be to build or buy a pro transformer and run them off a speaker amp like the super t. This would be very cheap(~$200) and still give you very good sound. Below is a link to a diagram for a stax transformer.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/stax_transf.html

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Dear Thrice:

It just so happens that I have an Stax Pro SRM-1/MK-2 amplifier who's headphones might have just bitten the proverbial dust...the right side transducer moves around in the shell, and has significantly decreased output! If I cannot get a reasonably priced repair, and I know not where to turn for this, I have at my disposal a perfectly good amplifier unit that would love a purpose in life. Actually very low playing time on the amp, less than 100 hours, bought it years ago, and found I used it very little after purchasing my B&W 801 speakers, which I purchased right on the heels of the Stax purchase.
I am willing to part with the amp if you make a reasonabe offer.

Sincerely,
Tim Kogstrom

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 6
My look at building a BH (with getting pro boards done) was in the ~$1200 range (premium parts), and mid-range attenuators. KGSS is the most affordable option.

McAlister is an excellent tube option, starting at the $800 range, which has very favorable impressions as well.

http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions. I've got an SRD-7 on loan from a friend so that will hold me over for a little while. I was looking into the 313 as a possible amp in case my friend needs his back.

I think I'm going to go the build route...I was just looking for something to use in the meantime. I was also wondering what other Lambda pro users were happy with, but it doesn't seem like there are a lot of folks on the boards with the Lambda pros. I know the ES-1 would be the best amp but at $4k entry price, it's not happening for me.....yet
wink.gif

Wow, $1200 to build the BH. Yeah that might take some time. I've only heard the BH briefly so any impressions I have are not reliable. I wasn't really into an electrostatic rig at the time so I didn't pay much attnetion to the BH or the KGSS.
blink.gif

Well if these go over as well as I think they will, I might be selling the K1000 to fund the amp build for these. I've listened to them at a friend's house hooked up to the 007t and an ES-1 (Es-1 wins hands down). It would be nice to get into more extensive tube builds so this may be my chance to really kick it into high gear
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the advice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back