Stax Lambada Pro w/ SRD-7 - thoughts please
Jun 18, 2007 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone who has heard this set up comment on the sound, etc?

Also, what years were they in production?

Thanks

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone who has heard this set up comment on the sound, etc?

Also, what years were they in production?

Thanks

The Pro's have an annoying midrange recess and the bass is a bit weird compared to other Lambda phones but they are very good. When you use a transformer you gain PRaT and extension for a loss in subtlety and resolution. I think that the Pro's are overpriced at the current market price because both the original SR-Lambda and Lambda Signature are better in their own way.

The headphones were in production from 1982 to 1992 the latest but you're never quite sure with Stax. They had ceased production when the Spirit/Pro Classic was introduced in 1992.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 27
The Lambda Pro's are imo great. Not on par with the Sr-007, but easily beats the all dynamic headphones I have heard (HD650, K701, GS1000, ...).
A direct driven amplifier are better than the SRD-7 (I guess its a Pro or MK2?). But a good speaker amplifier matched up with the SRD-7 can be a nice and cheep entry.

The Lambda Pro was introduced in 1982, and I think they went out of production in 1988-89.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 27
Got it. I guess I'll pass on the current setup on ebay right now. It's a $450 buy it now.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 27
Thats a bit on the expensive side.
The Lambda Pro can be had for $250-300, while the SRD-7 Pro can be had for $100-200.

In all not a bad deal. But you can do better...

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 27
Bugger... the seller will not accept anything but a US postal money order, otherwise these would be mine...
frown.gif

Someone please put me out of my misery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260129770969

edit: for the record, if you've already got a REALLY nice power amplifier for your speakers, an SRD transformer box can sound absolutely fantastic. Otherwise, stick to the direct-drive electrostatic headphone amps.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I think they are worth the $450 and then some. The SRD-7 Pro driven off your Cary may be quite a nice listen. I would go for it !! Oh yes they have their faults , but like Krmathis said you would be hard pressed (VERY) to find a dynamic phone (setup) even remotely close for the money .

... assuming you like the sound of stats. I prefer the top dymanics to even the HE-90 in the long run. I think better or worse is a preference, not a fact.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... assuming you like the sound of stats. I prefer the top dymanics to even the HE-90 in the long run. I think better or worse is a preference, not a fact.

Quoted for truth. This is also extremely system dependent - in a recent shootout I preferred my lowly Grado RS1s to the HE90s driven by an ES-1...

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed ...I Love my dynamics also ,but for the sum of $450... I still don't think there are any dynamic setups (at $450) that could touch a Lambda Pro driven from a Cary 300SEI . IMHO

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 27
Damn, you guys! I bought it.

Feckn...you can sleep better tonight. I'm very finicky (aren't well all) about cans so it's HIGHLY likely judging from my history that i'll sell these immediately. I don't blame you for being worried about a money order. If I resell them I'll accept paypal so keep my address and email me in two weeks and we'll see how I feel.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I don't have so much a problem with the money order, the problem is I am in Canada.

What power amp are you going to hook these up to?

I'll be using my Cary 300SEI and I'll try it on an Accuphase 202 integrated. I LOVE the cary with my 650s but I can't help wanting to hear as much as I can to finally settle w/ something for the long haul (that's never going to happen, obviously, but it's the dream we all share.)

I'm also going to buy an Omega and 007. THEN I'll make my decision
blink.gif

I got problems.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, you guys! I bought it.

He he
Congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back