Stax inner driver piece inside left earpad loose?? How to fix please help driving me crazy!!!
Oct 14, 2008 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I noticed today that whenever I moved my head I would hear a scraping noise on my left earpad of my pro lambda speakers. I checked to see what it was and basically the inside driver system (basically the foam+driver inside the grill outer covering) is loose, so the entire thing shakes/moves whenever I move my head. My right earr driver system is secured in place. Now I think I can fix this manually, but I was wondering how to open the grill, and what exactly holds the driver system in place, screws or adhesive or glue?

Sound quality is not affected, only when I move my head but thats just the physical sound of the foam+inside of the earspeaker rubbing against the outside grill frame.

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 12
so I disassembled my pro lambda speakers, and basically the protective film glue got loose and now the driver is just bumping around in there. Should I buy a replacement (from where) or should I just glue it back?

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 12
i guess my biggest problem is, since most likely the transparent film that covers the outside of the driver is punctured and most likely won't be air tight even though I glue it back together, does this affect sound quality at all? (please note this isn't the transparent film thats supposed to be inside the drivers)

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 12
You can glue the driver back with some strong double sided adhesive and you need to fix the plastic film as that is the dustcover. Without it the driver will start to become unstable as the high voltage bias attracts dust. If it just has a few holes in it then you can use small bits of clear tape to cover them up. If the driver separated from the dust cover then I'd just get a new set of drivers installed or sell the phones for parts since the rest of the driver could follow suit and it is a nerve rattling experience to fix these drivers.

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 12
wait are you suggesting I replace my lambda drivers because it got loose from the dustcover? can't I just repair it like you suggested?

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 12
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 12
pictures 1,2,4 show the outside grill covering with the dust cover (note the small holes) and picture #3 shows the driver detached from the outside grill frame and the dust cover. How should I proceed?

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 12
my repair strategy currently is to use clear tape (any other, more less SQ affecting alternatives?) to cover up the small holes on the dust cover, and then if you notice in pic #4 I will cover the silver border with gorilla glue or industrial glue and then press it slowly to the black frame around the driver in pic #3...is this correct spritzer?

also is it a big problem that on the other side, the black foam is disintegrating and every time i handle the stax the foam bits and pieces fall off?

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 12
The driver has separated from the dustcover so this needs to be fixed with glue. I normally use urethane based glue for this type of work but others might work as well. I don't use epoxy since it is hard to control.

First step is to remove the housing from the equation and to do so you pull the cable upwards out of the housing to where the baffle is supposed to be. Do that and seal the driver in a plastic bag since dust and electrostatics does not mix.

You have two options here, either fix the holes in the dustcover with some tape or just make a new one. Both work well so it is your choice but you need to clean off all excess glue (and make sure none of it gets into the driver) and then glue it back together.

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 12
sorry im confused, what do you mean by "housing"? Is that the black frame surrounding the driver? or do you mean the entire black grill that covers the earspeaker? Doesn't this require me to disconnect the cable?

And what is the "baffle"?

Also, how would I reattach the driver if I remove it from the cables and housing? I don't have a soldering iron or anything...

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 12
what if I just applied urethane glue to the outside of the black frame surrounding the driver (very minimally to prevent spread) and then just press the dustcover onto the driver matching the silver and black frames? Would this be a bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back