Stax Help
Nov 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

noobzpro

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, k as some of u might know i was actually planning for a hd800+spl phonitor and a dac (belcanto,lavy).....until a few hours ago when i first heard a stax at my local distro........poison really to the max!......i first tried sr-009 with the sr-007tII.......i was shock by everything....but the soundstage sweeped me off my feet.......but the price i would say would require lots of thinking before biting the bullet......thus i ask to try a slightly lower end......which was the sr-507 with the srm323s.....i was expecting it to be alot different.....of coz it is....but the sound signature and all is so near! the only thing which had change drastically is the sound stage decreased by alot......now im in a big dilemma......im in no rush in getting my setup as im enlisting next week so i have time to wait......im planning to spend around 2-3k USD for now any more i would have to seriously try and think about it first......thus the headphone most likely would be the sr-507 but is there any 3rd party stax amp which u would recommend to fit in the budget.....budget is for both phones and amp.....thanks for all input

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 7
I went the same route and ended up buying O2 along with 507 and both SSD and Tube Stax amps. O2 has better imaging/layering/clarity and 507 better sound stage, you need some time to really appreciate the difference.  507 is a great setup to start with and I enjoy it more with a Stax tube amp SRM 600. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Hi all, k as some of u might know i was actually planning for a hd800+spl phonitor and a dac (belcanto,lavy).....until a few hours ago when i first heard a stax at my local distro........poison really to the max!......i first tried sr-009 with the sr-007tII.......i was shock by everything....but the soundstage sweeped me off my feet.......but the price i would say would require lots of thinking before biting the bullet......thus i ask to try a slightly lower end......which was the sr-507 with the srm323s.....i was expecting it to be alot different.....of coz it is....but the sound signature and all is so near! the only thing which had change drastically is the sound stage decreased by alot......now im in a big dilemma......im in no rush in getting my setup as im enlisting next week so i have time to wait......im planning to spend around 2-3k USD for now any more i would have to seriously try and think about it first......thus the headphone most likely would be the sr-507 but is there any 3rd party stax amp which u would recommend to fit in the budget.....budget is for both phones and amp.....thanks for all input

Why, why would you do that to yourself?  :)  Stax are addictive, and although there are many things I love about the HD800 more than my Stax, but if I had to keep one set for the rest or my life, it would probably be the SR-007mk1.  If you like the Stax sound (and it sounds like you do), and you really can swing $3,000 for headphone + amp, I'd would buy
  1. an Omega II headphone (used) for around $1500 - $2000, depending on condition; and
  2.  a 717, 727, or 007t amplifier (again, used).  The 717 goes for around $1K.  The 727 and the 007t are usually a bit higher.
If you object to buying used, the 507 is a good choice.  As for an amp, I like the Stax amps enough in that range that I would stick with them.  There are undboutedly better amps out there (e.g. Blue Hawaii, WES), but in the $1,000/$1500 range, I like both the 007t and the 717/727.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 7
haha thanks for ur input guys.....i went to collect my customs.....then tried hd800 and t1....wow not bad......then i went walking around and accidentally went into a shop with stax....there the poison started....going back on monday to try metal on em.....was not ready for a proper audition

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Completely agree with Seacard, used O2 and Stax amp are great performers with the best value for money. Other amps are expensive, not easily available. Enjoy and choose based on what you listen. Guitar sub tones of Queen are just sublime on O2, nothing comes close. Good luck and if you are getting poisoned, choose the sweet poison!

Don't forget to carry CDs or uncompressed or HD music with you as usually source is the bottleneck with this setup.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 7
I was in your situation for a while. I upgraded to a Stax setup from a HD800. Currently I find the SR-507 with the SRM-323S more than enough for my needs. It is incredibly dynamic and accurate, though bassheads will definitely think the dynamic driver bass is missing. Third party amps like the KGSS are going to be difficult to find. I've been searching Headfi classifieds for a month already and have never seen a KGSS for sale. The 323S seems more than sufficient for the Lambdas.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 7
As a readily available and affordable Stax amp, I think the 323S is the way to go. If you can find a 717, jump on it. The 727 is not that well liked. The tube amps are fine for the SR-507 and below, but not well suited to the O2. My suggestion given your budget would be a used SR-007 (Mk1 or 2) and a 323S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back