Stax help; srd-7sb and srd-4 (found, fixed. thanks)
Nov 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ri_toast

500+ Head-Fier
I have a new Stax headphone an sr-84 (sr-80 and srd-4) on the way to me. Here’s my problem. I know I can’t run the sr80s from the srd-7sb (normal bias only) just the srd-4 (electret). The speaker pass-through however is unused. Can I run the srd-4 from the speaker pass-through on the srd-7sb and do what apple used to call daisy chain? i don't expect to listen to them at the same time but it would be nice not to have to disconnect / reconnect every time.

My amp has the two sets of speaker outputs and both are occupied by 'stats.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 8
What makes you think that you can't use electrets on the SRD-7/SB?

From what I've read, Stax electrets should work on anything with a Stax jack, Normal and Pro bias alike, simply because they don't need external bias at all (which is the point of them being electrets and not "proper" electrostatics).

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
What makes you think that you can't use electrets on the SRD-7/SB?

From what I've read, Stax electrets should work on anything with a Stax jack, Normal and Pro bias alike, simply because they don't need external bias at all (which is the point of them being electrets and not "proper" electrostatics).

why would i think that? simply put the stax wiki lists types: normal/pro/electret  i can't ever recall seeing an sr3/4/5 being sold with anything but an srd-4. it's a bit fuzzy since i never really looked for that specifically.
i probally shouldn't have posted in here; high end but this is where the staxenfolk come to play. thanks

Quote:
They work fine off the SRD-7. 

I did not know that...thanks
i can't see any reason that the pass through would not work but this is even better. i now have a portable stax; meaning i carry them (the earspeakers) to another part of the house and plug them in. hehe

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 8
SR3 came with SRD-5 (this may be a lower bias voltage than the later normal bias ??200V), SR5 came with the SRD-6 or 7. These are electrostatic headphones and won't run on an Electret driver like the SRD-4 as they need the bias charge.
The electrets all came with the SRD-4, but can be run off an SRD-6 or 7.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 8
thanks John. the lambda Jr.arrived today. three days sooner than expected. i've run them from the srd-7sb, no imbalance, so at least the drivers look good, kept the charge. came with the original box, even the foam. like they were used once and packed away. based on what i've heard so far i can almost understand why. maybe the sound will grow on me, then again i've always wondered what the sr30, 40 sounded like. now i know.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
why would i think that? simply put the stax wiki lists types: normal/pro/electret  i can't ever recall seeing an sr3/4/5 being sold with anything but an srd-4. it's a bit fuzzy since i never really looked for that specifically.
i probally shouldn't have posted in here; high end but this is where the staxenfolk come to play. thanks

Wikiphonia, you mean? Perhaps they could use a rewrite to clarify that electrets will work in any proper electrostatic amp regardless of bias voltage, but yes, all electrets were generally sold with an SRD-4. There was no reason for them to ship a transformer box with actual bias voltage output for those electrets, after all.

As for posting in here...to be frank, I've got the same dilemma. I have no intentions of spending the big bucks on an SR-007 or SR-009 + BHSE or DIY T2, but now I have to have my electrostatic fix!

At least the SR-80 seems to work...

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 8
The electrets aren't that good compared with the electrostatic models. My father has the SRD4/40 combo and it isn't terribly good. His Stax Sigma (now my Sigma/404) left it for dead, both compared on his SRD-7 (now my SRD-7 Spritzer Pro).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back