STAX GAMMA (non-pro) - vs. - STAX SR-X mk III (non-pro)
Jul 24, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 45
Well that's no fun.
frown.gif

Obtainability isn't the problem, at least for the moment, it's financing it. Not something I'm interested in going into blind after already spending too much on unnecessary purchases lately. The SR-X/Mk3 is too uncomfortable for me anyways, I guess.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that's no fun.
frown.gif

Obtainability isn't the problem, at least for the moment, it's financing it. Not something I'm interested in going into blind after already spending too much on unnecessary purchases lately. The SR-X/Mk3 is too uncomfortable for me anyways, I guess.

Does that mean to say you've found a line on one? None are showing up on the places I check.

Due to the rarity factor you could probably resell it here for more than it's really worth in terms of sonics, so that's always something to consider.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Since it's related to the subject at hand, how does the pro bias SR-X/Mk3 compare to the normal bias SR-X/Mk3? Is it just the rarity, or does it actually sound significantly different?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth dropping coin on the pro version after just buying a Sigma and a second Lambda (to compare with/without the fiberglass).
plainface.gif

I have converted a normal SR-X driver to pro status but it is a bit of a pain to do so. A bit of precision drilling and some very thin sheets of metal is all there is. I haven't mounted it into a phone yet as the driver is a bit unstable as i couldn't get the materials I want but it is surely doable but without disassembling a Stock driver I'm not sure if I'm doing it as they did it.

It's status is because of the limited numbers but not the sound quality. There are quite a few Stax collectors out there.
rolleyes.gif
The drivers are good but the housing has it's own colorations just like the Lambda housing and others. I will buy one when I find it and report back...
wink.gif

Hope you enjoy the extra Lambda
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Well that's no fun.
frown.gif

Let us know where this item may be if you don't want it.

Wasn't there some consensus here that you could take a Stax Gamma? Pro and use its drivers to make an SRX3 Pro?

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know where this item may be if you don't want it.

Wasn't there some consensus here that you could take a Stax Gamma? Pro and use its drivers to make an SRX3 Pro?

They are supposed to use the same drivers. It is from what I can gather simply a modified normal driver with the same stators and diaphragm.

Carl where is that Gamma Pro!!
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #36 of 45
Stax reused drivers over several headphones, so it's not really surprising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are supposed to use the same drivers. It is from what I can gather simply a modified normal driver with the same stators and diaphragm.

Carl where is that Gamma Pro!!
tongue.gif

It's in the post, but I forgot to mention the shipping to you 'cause I forgot. Speaking of which, where did I put that receipt...?

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax reused drivers over several headphones, so it's not really surprising.

With great success we might add. A lot of trial and error went into the drivers over the years and the SR-X Mk3 is a thing of beauty compared to some of the earlier versions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's in the post, but I forgot to mention the shipping to you 'cause I forgot. Speaking of which, where did I put that receipt...?

So sneaking up on me was the plan...?
tongue.gif
PM me the total when you have it.

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #38 of 45
Have any Stax drivers for sale? PM me please! I've decided to build my own Stax. I have no money to buy a complete 'earspeaker'.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

I'm trying to decide if it's worth dropping coin on the pro version after just buying a Sigma and a second Lambda (to compare with/without the fiberglass).
plainface.gif

Thread revival.
tongue.gif

Can you elaborate on the with/without the fiberglass? What is this all about?
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #41 of 45
Ohhh, so the fiberglass is the bumping material inside. I thought is was something to do with driver mounting. Never mind, I would not risk doing this to my Lambda, might break something with my clumsy fingers.
smily_headphones1.gif
You also mentioned that it does funky things to HF, no?

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thread revival.
tongue.gif

Can you elaborate on the with/without the fiberglass? What is this all about?
blink.gif

I tried it for about five minutes on the alternate pair, then put the fiberglass right back in. My ears could not take it.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh, so the fiberglass is the bumping material inside. I thought is was something to do with driver mounting. Never mind, I would not risk doing this to my Lambda, might break something with my clumsy fingers.
smily_headphones1.gif
You also mentioned that it does funky things to HF, no?

It's easy to do but you can break one of the cable solder joints and the foam mesh lining the fiberglass isn't likely to survive. There is some HF nastiness that is revealed but it is minor compared to the open midrange and extreme bass they can pump out. Closed back then the SR-Lambda is a brilliant headphone but with the damping removed it is in my Top 5 of my most enjoyable headphones in such esteemed company as the SR-007, SR-Ω, HE60 and SR-3.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #45 of 45
I measured my Gammas (non pros) down into the lower 30's hZ a year or two back, if that's relevant. I was comparing them to 05 880s at the time. I was shocked how low and how cleanly low they went. They do go low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back