STAX for the first time, Where to BUY?
Mar 18, 2006 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Posts
187
Likes
0
Today I got my first chance to listen to a Stax Classic II system at a local hfi shop. I have been slightly obsessed with the idea of elecrtostats for some time now and was dying to hear what all the fuss was about.

All I have to say is that I was blown away the second I began listening, it was a magical experience with a magical sound and it only got better and better. The Classic II system is better then anything speaker or headphone based that I had ever heard in my life!

Now I am trying to think what the best way is to get one. Originally I thought AudioCubes then I spoke to the dealer and he was telling me that AudioCubes only sells the Jap version, which met no help from the North American service department, and I would need a transformer, which he said would certainly introduce some noticeable noise into the system. The price from AudioCubes is around 800 USD plus shipping taxes etc. The Canadian dealer wants 1600 Cad dollars.

IN your opinion will the Stax Classic System II trump a midrange dynamic system such as K701/650 and Headamp GS-1, or Headroom Desktop DM. Or does my impressions today pretty much mean I should stick with Stax?
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 14

applebook

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Posts
1,148
Likes
21
Audiocubes is probably the best place next to Pricejapan.com, who, I don't think, carries the Classic II. Is the dealer in your city an authorized agent? I can't find any information on Canadian Stax dealers.

Whether or not the Classic II is a better system than an equivalently priced dynamic set-up is entirely up to the listener to decide. There is always the electrostat vs. dynamic debate to consider, and each has its strengths and weaknesses.
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 14

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Posts
3,862
Likes
348
I think the SR-303 would trump many comparably-priced dynamic setups if you use it with a tube amp, or the 3030 system with a tube pre-amp and a very carefully matched source. The system's biggest weaknesses lie it its tonal balance, which is - more or less - fixable by varying the associated components. It will never match the bass impact of a comparably priced dynamic system, and no matter what you do you probably won't get rid of it's upper midrange sibilance - except maybe with a very careful use of a very good graphic/parametric EQ. But, you'll also be very hard pressed to find a dynamic setup that could match the system's detail, speed, transient response, bass quality and texture, and frequency extension at both ends.

However, if you get the synergy wrong... ouch, you have one ugly-sounding setup. Bright, thin, steely highs, lacking midbass, sucked-out midrange, narrow soundstage... and all of this due to component mismatch, rather than the lacking quality of the components themselves.

I've grown less partial to the Lambda-style sound signature, which, it should be noted, is quite different from the rest of the Stax line-up! But, it's still a very formidable system. Just make sure you don't fret if it doesn't give you the sound you want right out of the box - you'll need to mix/swap components before you get the synergy right.
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 14

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Posts
187
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
What other headphone systems have you listened to? I see you have a UE5c, how did it compare to that?



In addittion to the 650 I have listened to Grado 225, AKG 240 as well as most of the highend universal IEMs. The Stax blew all of that out of the water IMHO. It might just be that ecletrostats are the right sound signature for me
confused.gif
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 14

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Posts
187
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I think the SR-303 would trump many comparably-priced dynamic setups if you use it with a tube amp, or the 3030 system with a tube pre-amp and a very carefully matched source. The system's biggest weaknesses lie it its tonal balance, which is - more or less - fixable by varying the associated components. It will never match the bass impact of a comparably priced dynamic system, and no matter what you do you probably won't get rid of it's upper midrange sibilance - except maybe with a very careful use of a very good graphic/parametric EQ. But, you'll also be very hard pressed to find a dynamic setup that could match the system's detail, speed, transient response, bass quality and texture, and frequency extension at both ends.

However, if you get the synergy wrong... ouch, you have one ugly-sounding setup. Bright, thin, steely highs, lacking midbass, sucked-out midrange, narrow soundstage... and all of this due to component mismatch, rather than the lacking quality of the components themselves.

I've grown less partial to the Lambda-style sound signature, which, it should be noted, is quite different from the rest of the Stax line-up! But, it's still a very formidable system. Just make sure you don't fret if it doesn't give you the sound you want right out of the box - you'll need to mix/swap components before you get the synergy right.



When I auditioned the system I asked for a cd-player close to mine. I have a Rotel RCD 970. Luckt for me the dealer was also a Rotel dealer too. I figure the best way to make sure there will be synergy is to just take my cd player to the hifi shop. I doubt there will be a night and day difference between the two.
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 14

gordie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 13, 2001
Posts
192
Likes
18
I have the 3030 system running with the little transformer Audiocubes sent me, and there's no line noise, it all sounds great. For half the price of a US sourced system I was happy to get the deal from audiocubes.com on the set.

-- Gordie
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 14

pspivak

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Posts
740
Likes
28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
In addittion to the 650 I have listened to Grado 225, AKG 240 as well as most of the highend universal IEMs. The Stax blew all of that out of the water IMHO. It might just be that ecletrostats are the right sound signature for me
confused.gif



Yeah, get the SIGNATURES. If you get the 303's you will wonder why you didn't spring for another C note and if you are missing something.
lambda.gif
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 14

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 16, 2005
Posts
4,368
Likes
13
You can change the voltage through fuses inside the amp.
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 14

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Posts
187
Likes
0
Just curious, did you get your Stax system from an American dealer, with 115 V unit or from somewhere else. Also des the plasit frame of the headphone ever bother you. I noticed if I move around a lot they would creek a bit.
Thanks
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #13 of 14

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Posts
5,368
Likes
16
I'm another who prefers electrostatics to dynamics, although they aren't universally better.

Lambda's have to be intergrated into a system with care to sound their best. Of course, you can always sell the included amp and buy something else like a SRM-006tA or McAlister electrostatic amp at a latter date.
 
Mar 18, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 14

smeggy

Member of the Trade: ThunderpantsTP1
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Posts
6,299
Likes
26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
Just curious, did you get your Stax system from an American dealer, with 115 V unit or from somewhere else. Also des the plasit frame of the headphone ever bother you. I noticed if I move around a lot they would creek a bit.
Thanks



I got mine from a fellow Head-Fi guy. I have worn, twisted and jiggled mine and cannot get them to squeak, creek or anything else. Perfectly silent in use.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top