Stax ED-1 Diffuse-Field Equalizer
Jan 8, 2003 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Can anyone provide information or links to information on the Stax ED-1 Diffuse Field Equalizer? I'd read some reviews of Lamda series phones that made reference to this equalizer but I was unable to locate information on the equalizer itself.

Jan 8, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Not much info out there at all on this thing, but it seems to be something that messes around with soundstaging rather than a tonal equalizer.

Quote:

The Lambda Pros used by JA for monitoring were also routed through a Stax ED-1 diffuse-field headphone equalizer (reviewed by BS in April 1989, Vol.12 No.4), a device designed to compensate, to a degree, for the spatial differences between headphones and loudspeakers.

You may want to order that back issue if you're further interested.

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 12
Kelly,

You may want to search the old Headwize archives. I know one of the 'Stax Crew' guys there owned and used one; it's just been so long now that I can't recollect the individual's name (perhaps Fuzzy or Headster?). There were a number of posts in which this unit was referenced, I just don't know whether or not it would be easy to locate those threads using the Headwize search function.

If I remember correctly, I believe that the ED-1, rather than trying electronically to alter the soundstage of the Stax phones (ala crossfeed or Dolby Headphone), instead modified the frequency response (via equilization) of the phones to simulate what the human ear "hears" in a diffuse environment (i.e. in a room). In contrast, the Sennhesiser HD 600 and Orpheus headphones are supposed to have a mild diffuse field equilization built into their physical design. I don't know what else the ED-1 did, but I heard that it, in accordance with diffuse-field standards, introduced a dip in the upper-midrange, which, at the time, also served to really mitigate the brightness factor of the Lambda phones in this frequency region.

I've never seen one for sale; I imagine they're very rare. I think the ED-1 has been out of production since the late 80's/early 90's. You may want to go to Stax's site and look through the 'Stax History' page - maybe there's mention made of it there.

Jan 9, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon
Stax's site does have it (a picture, at least). Here's the link: http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/History.html

Scroll down to 1988 - there's a link to the photo.

Ed1+LamPRO.jpg

Jan 10, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 12
I still have one of these...although, mine is in a charcoal-colored box, rather than the silver one illustrated. It worked like a champ at what it purported to do, which was to correct for the angle at which the headphone (oops! earspeaker!) poured the sound into your head. I say it worked, because of the extra space in the soundstage that resulted...the illusion of an extra foot of distance in your head was niiice, not unlike Headroom's crossfeed, but, in my head at least, more effective (YMMV). Also. on the couple of binaural CDs I have, there was a real but hard-to-describe increment of reality.

There may also have been some equalization specific to the Lambda Pro - it seemed to even out the frequency response, in the treble (smoother) and bass (a slight peak was erased). To my ears, the Lambda Pros had an overbrightness without the ED-1, and not with it.

You may notice I'm speaking in the past tense. My Lambda Pro headset died in its left channel, a few years ago...at that time, the Stax corporation was apparently defunct. They have since resurrected, I guess, but I still don't know where to have the repair made in this country. So I plugged my Stax SRX mk. III head-uh, earspeakers into the Stax amp, and the sound is sweet and keeps me comfortable...but, the ED-1 makes little difference to these. Either the (hypothetical?) frequency response equalization - which Mk III definitely doesn't need - made the sound a little wrong; or the Mk III resolving power is just too far shy of the Lambda Pro. In either case, the ED-1 became redundant, and I took it out of the system.

Jan 13, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks, Smokey!

Or, more accurately, Thanx, Smokey...

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 12
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back