Stax earspeaker knowledge
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

michaelwheeldon

100+ Head-Fier
Just a quick question for stax experts, I've acquired a stax srm t1s amplifier in barely used condition.
One owner from new.
The question I have is it seems to take about 30 mins for the earspeakers to get to their peak performance, this is with both my sr L300 and the sr507.
Just wondering if it's a tube problem since they are best part of twenty year old and it's taking a while to get to optimum operating temperature.
I've order a new pair just in case.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 8
What changes in sound are you hearing over those 30 minutes? I don't experience much change in performance during warm-up on any Stax setup I've owned.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 8
After a little google searching 30 minutes tends to be the time when things get going. I have couple of tube amps but none for electrostats and haven’t noticed a big change like that but usually have them on a bit before I do start listening though.

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I've had a few tube headphone amplifiers for dynamic headphones too but they all were singing in ten minutes and like you say not that much of a change accured.
The difference between first on and 30 min would be likened to closed and open back headphones.
The new tubes have arrived today so I'll give them a try, maybe they will get to normal operating state quicker, fingers crossed.

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 8
You might have to replace the capacitors too. Over time, they will dry up, and a T1S is about old enough where that starts to happen. Also, electrostatics are revealing enough where you actually will hear changes with warmup, though they shouldn't be drastic, or something is obviously wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back