STAX Driver Voltage Transformer for US Voltage
Aug 10, 2018 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cerebrum2045

New Head-Fier
A recent deal on eBay has allowed me to purchase the stax SRS-3100 (stax 252s and L300)
I know that the Japanese made headphone uses voltage from Japan and it is different from the US.
I am worried of damaging the driver so I heard that you need a step down voltage transformer.

I have read around and heard that these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PC4JL4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 are good.

My question is if there are any other recommendations for a voltage transformer or will the one linked above work fine.

Thanks

Aug 10, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 6
You got it, that will work fine. Don't buy from amazon though, Bezos is an asshole. Actually it looks like the srm 252 unit just takes 12V DC in, I'm sure any Stax dealer or Stax can sell you a different power supply for it for less than what you'd pay for the voltage transformer. This is a better solution.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Ok great thanks,

You got it, that will work fine. Don't buy from amazon though, Bezos is an asshole. Actually it looks like the srm 252 unit just takes 12V DC in, I'm sure any Stax dealer or Stax can sell you a different power supply for it for less than what you'd pay for the voltage transformer. This is a better solution.

Assuming something like this would work then: https://www.amazon.com/Velleman-PSSMV1USA-3-12Vdc-Switching-Supply/dp/B00068U44I/

However this is also from amazon haha.

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 6
If it were me I wouldn't use either a 'switching power supply' or one that switches voltages. You could accidentally plug the wrong voltage into your 1000 dollar merchandise. You want a 12V DC "regulated, linear" supply of at least 1000ma current rating, 2000ma would be better. The Main thing is to find one with the proper plug that goes into the back of the unit which is also of the proper polarities, you'll see the little symbol on the back of the unit that says + - . You can measure the diameter of the outer cylinder of the plug, but the pin size can be hard to ah pin down. Jameco is a good brand, but it's worth your trouble to source a stock Stax part.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 6
If it were me I wouldn't use either a 'switching power supply' or one that switches voltages. You could accidentally plug the wrong voltage into your 1000 dollar merchandise. You want a 12V DC "regulated, linear" supply of at least 1000ma current rating, 2000ma would be better. The Main thing is to find one with the proper plug that goes into the back of the unit which is also of the proper polarities, you'll see the little symbol on the back of the unit that says + - . You can measure the diameter of the outer cylinder of the plug, but the pin size can be hard to ah pin down. Jameco is a good brand, but it's worth your trouble to source a stock Stax part.

Ok gotcha, thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back