Stax diy transformer step up math/application help
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pyriel0

100+ Head-Fier
I plan on trying out stax sooner or later and I have been researching a bit on the transformers.

My first question is about the impedance across the transformer. I read that the primary sees a load of Zs * (Np / Ns)^2. When the headphones are hooked up across the transformer will it actually raise the load or will my amp still only be driving the 8-16 ohms of the transformer coils itself? can anyone with an srd box please measure the resistance across the power amp inputs with and without headphones attached to see if there is a difference?

Edit: Took out second question. I think I only need to really know the first.

I am looking at getting a couple Lundahl LL1623pp and wiring all primaries and secondaries in series(alt E). It would be 16 ohms on the amp side and 1600 on the stax side and would step up voltage by 13.4x.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 7
The transformer will work at a fixed ratio so the impedance presented by the drivers will be transformed over to the amp. As a guide, the Quad ESL57 is 8ohm nominal (as in the transformer was matched to that particular impedance of the drivers) but will drop to 2.8ohm in some spots and rise to 30ohm in other.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Spritzer. I guess I will have to use the sowter 1:100 transfo's then because it will take that high of a ratio to drop the 170kohm of the 007's down to 17 ohms for the firstwatt @10khz ofc.

Edit: And F me they are $325 per. Prolly better off just doing an exstata or something.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Cool thanks again. I have a lot more numbers to crunch now then lol. At least I have beer so this won't be as bad.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back