HugoFreire

500+ Head-Fier
Here!
Looks nice!
I didn't know they produced DACs in the past
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Aug 13, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 11
It says the DAC was first released in 1989, so I wonder what year this particular one is? I'm sure it sounds good, but since 1989 there have been huge advances in digital to analog conversion; I would imagine there are several DACs that would be a better place to spend $7200.

It is cool though.

Aug 13, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeChuck
It says the DAC was first released in 1989, so I wonder what year this particular one is? I'm sure it sounds good, but since 1989 there have been huge advances in digital to analog conversion; I would imagine there are several DACs that would be a better place to spend $7200.

It is cool though.

I'll bet for that kind of dough you can get a much better one! It's old but still nice, not a contender for new dac's released today.

Aug 13, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
I'll bet for that kind of dough you can get a much better one! It's old but still nice, not a contender for new dac's released today.

For a little more you can buy yourself the Theta Gen VIII, supposedly the best DAC under $10k on the market right now.

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I bet a Bel Canto Dac 1, 1.1 or 2 sounds better at a fraction of the price.

sc

I'm with Ken on this. What's up with people giving opinions about something they never listened to?

Zanden is one of the best and most esoteric price-no-object DACs availables in the market right now. There is a guy in Audiogon that tried the Zanden and this Stax DAC on his setup. He prefered the Stax one and sent back the Zanden. Now it might be a synergy issue, or the guy is biased or whatever... but this has to mean something anyway.

So don't bash vintage equipment because when it is well done it can be pretty good. It is true that DACs use to age worse than amps, for example, but there are always exceptions.

Zanden DAC is using a non-upsample-oversample-whatever 1980s Phillips double-crown chips. And for a lot of people is the best DAC ever made.

Aug 20, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn
Look's really nice ... but the price ... OUCH !!!

You said it..... wow.

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 11
You bought it!? Wow, congratulations!

I love those UltraAnalog DAC chips. Too bad it uses 12AX7s for tubes, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Zanden DAC is using a non-upsample-oversample-whatever 1980s Phillips double-crown chips. And for a lot of people is the best DAC ever made.

D20400A > TDA1541A-S2, if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back