Stax cheaply made?
Sep 22, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
For what its worth I am more than happy with the build quality of my Stax gear.

Finally an intelligent post. That's exactly what I was looking for...a Stax owner to say that they are happy with the build quality.

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 63
Guess I'm a failure too. I never said I was happy with the build quality of the Stax I've owned. Which I am.

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
Also never said you were a failure Duggeh.

I never suggested you did. Although I should perhaps have thrown a smilie or two in that post.
3000smile.gif
580smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
580smile.gif
280smile.gif
lambda.gif
lambda.gif
lambda.gif
lambda.gif
lambda.gif
lambda.gif
lambda.gif
280smile.gif
3000smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 63
Right, so you ask for opinions, then when we provide them, you ignore them and then proceed to insult us. OK, whatever you say. You seem to have made up your mind about Stax before actually ever having seen or heard one.

[Edit: Everyone that has offered an opinion here is a Stax owner, FYI]

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Right, so you ask for opinions, then when we provide them, you ignore them and then proceed to insult us. OK, whatever you say. You seem to have made up your mind about Stax before actually ever having seen or heard one.

[Edit: Everyone that has offered an opinion here is a Stax owner, FYI]

Insult? Really? I'm sorry. I've seen plenty of pics to think they look cheaply made. I never said they sounded bad and maybe the build quality is better in person. The reason I started this thread was to see if anyone is unhappy with the build quality of their Stax because I am thinking about purchasing some.

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
Insult? Really? I'm sorry. I've seen plenty of pics to think they look cheaply made. I never said they sounded bad and maybe the build quality is better in person. The reason I started this thread was to see if anyone is unhappy with the build quality of their Stax because I am thinking about purchasing some.

I tend to agree that Stax aren't the most attractive headphones ever made. As for build quality, I think they are fine. I think the HD650 or the K701 are better built than the Lambdas, but the Stax are not so flimsy that they will fall apart under normal use.

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #25 of 63
FWIW, I've been quite happy with the quality on the SR-404's, and I have had zero problems over the last 2 years. However, I have always been very gentle with them, and they've had very good care. My SR-001 Mk II system has been through an awful lot, and being my portable system of choice for a long time it took a lot of abuse. Roughly 2 months ago, the plug had developed an problem whereby the left channel cuts out when the plug is twisted or moved. I guess the lesson here is not to give your gear to friends who really don't care about other people's prized possessions, but it still chalks up as a reliability problem, though no doubt one that stems from careless handling.

If you are having doubts, then don't buy from Audiocubes or Pricejapan, but get them from a US dealer that will carry a warranty and service program. You'll pay more, but you'll have some peace of mind at the same time.

Having been on the forums for 2 years, I have to say that reports of Stax reliability problems are fairly rare.

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
It doesn't look THAT cheaply made - does it?
IMG_0002.jpg

biggrin.gif
It does when you put them in a picture with the HP-2's

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #28 of 63
As for my 3030 system's build quality, I have no complaints. Before the purchase I was worried about the reputed "creakiness" but - in my case at least - this has not been a problem at all.

Oh yes, the cable gets dirty and spiralled after a while!

Regards,

L.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #29 of 63
I also thought that the STAX would be somewhat cheaply made before I tried out my first pair. When I actually got them I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, though they certainly aren't built as strongly as dynamic cans such as Grados. The grill/enclosure seems to be made of a hard plastic and is a nice dark brown color (And not that ugly brown in the stock picture). The earpads are nice and comfortable, but they come a TAD bit loose/off on the very top edges every now and then (They seem to separate from that white adhesive; pushing the edges of the pads against the adhesive re-seals the gap for a while. It'd be nice if this wasn't a problem, but then again it's so trivial that I'm not sure if it can be considered a problem). The leather headband is thinner than I expected, but seems to be of a decent/mediocre quality. You might attribute its thinness to being low-quality. I heard a lot about the awful creaking noises, but I've yet to hear such noises (And the STAX fart, for that matter). The plastic band on the very top seems to be made of cheap plastic. It isn't terribly bad, but if something's going to break on my 404's, I'm pretty sure it's going to be this band first.

Overall pretty good quality, but you just have to be more careful with these electrostats than with dynamic cans. I'd like to think that people here are careful/respectful of their headphones, but from the pictures and national meet videos I've seen, that's CERTAINLY not the case (People putting their headphones on cats, placing headphones on the floor, wearing headphones around their necks, taking off and putting on headphones so quickly and without consideration that the headphone bands seem to be stretched out for a second while they are being put on/taken off, letting headphone cabls ride on/rest on their clothing, etc.). A head-fi meet would certainly be hell for me in this respect, and I'd be dead frightened to bring my cans and put them in the hands of these kinds of head-fiers (Yes, I may be a bit extreme here, but I like to keep my gear in the highest quality possible and really respect my gear, especially considering that we're talking about headphones that cost several hundred dollars here...).

Sep 23, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
If you are having doubts, then don't buy from Audiocubes or Pricejapan, but get them from a US dealer that will carry a warranty and service program. You'll pay more, but you'll have some peace of mind at the same time....

You got the point. That is why I purchased from US dealer. Pay for the premium, but at least I am safe with the unit for two years.

BTW the "plastic" 404 isn't exactly light. I am in the process convening myself get a headphone stand, but the weight makes me worry these thin rods on the banana hanger might not do the job too well.(given the none-flat top on the hangers) I wonder where to by the cup holder, as shown here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=stand
(Wal-mart 3.88, can't find in NJ)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back