Stax Amplifier Question
Sep 12, 2003 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Persiflage

Head-Fier
You know, after buying a used META-42 off someone a while back, I thought I was done with headphone purchases, that there was nothing more in a reasonable price range that could possibly tempt me. I would move onto speakers once I got out of college and had a place with enough room.

And then I went to Japan, and found how cheap Stax systems are here...

I need to go back and audition some of my own CDs, but it was pretty really cool, even in the poor listening environment I was in (mall style bulding, listening close to the audio store's entrance to the mall).

So my question is what the SRM-313 amplifier's (the one that comes in the SR-3030 system) input voltage is. I'm looking at the Japanese ones, obviously, so I'll be in the same boat as people that import from Japan (I think. Unless they can import different operating voltages).

I've seen two different specs online (heck, they're both at Stax's website). One says that it has an input voltage of 100v (Japan's voltage) and the other I saw said that it has an input voltage of 117/220/240v.

So, does anyone know what configurations they actually come in? I'd be going back to America eventually, so I'd want to be ablt to use it there.

Thanks

Sep 12, 2003 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 12
Well I ordered my SRM-313 from EIFL this summer and had it configuered to 240v so I could use it here in Europe. Mine doesn't have a voltage selector switch and since I had to wait for Stax to build mine, I don´t think they use a switch anymore. But the amps are awailable in 100/117/240v so they can propably be changed internally.

Sep 12, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the info, Spritzer.

Darn, sounds like they need to be set internally to the correct voltage. I'll probaby try to contact Stax itself, to see if they'll say whether or not it can be changed after purchase, and how much that would cost.

Audiocubes seems to be offering some sort of "free transformer" with SRM-313s bought through them. Anyone know exactly what this does? Sounds like it might be intended to allow Japanese things to use US power.

... (a few minutes later)

Yup, it is.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=290

That would be an easy, and cheap solution, but would such a device affect the sound from the amp?

Sep 12, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Stax used to make their amps with a selectable voltage switch. I assume they must've had one too many accidents somewhere around the world, and thus they've started hardwiring the voltages for their amps. So yes, you will need to specify what voltage you want your amp to run on.

I don't recommend going through any transformers because for one, it probably has an effect on the sound quality. And two, believe it or not, aftermarket power cords DO affect the Stax amp's sound. Having a transformer in the way would likely neglect any benefit you could get from a power cord upgrade.

Sep 12, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 12
The SRM 717 arrived yesterday to my door.... INCREDIBLY rapid from EIFL Japan (6 days). I had the same your problem about the voltage, the Stax units are now preselected for the country voltage, so I have a 230V unit. Very well built I think, now I'm wait for the Omega IIs.

Best!

Nicola

Sep 12, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah I would be best to buy an amp with the correct voltage. You could check if Stax can change the voltage for you when you leave the country.

The Stax amps are well built but they do not use high "audiophile" quality parts inside so they could be upgraded, but the space inside the amps is rather limited so it would be hard to fit the upgrades.

Sep 12, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes, not a lot of space inside. But as someone told me just now it is possible to do some upgrades like:

power supply caps: Blackgate WKZ and Jensen 4-pole electrolytics

output transistors: 2SC3675

and I think the pot too could be upgraded with another better quality or stepped attenuator.

Best!
Nicola

Sep 12, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 12
All the stax units i have seen, even ones without a
line voltage input switch have always had power transformers
with two seperate 3 wire primarys. So with a little work
you can wire them for 100,120,200,240 ...

Sep 12, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 12
I was planning to upgrade my SRM-313 (Black Gate caps, stepped attenuator) but I´m going to build the hybrid instead. Well it will be much more expensive but it is always nicer to have a new amp instead of an upgraded one
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2003 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore
All the stax units i have seen, even ones without a
line voltage input switch have always had power transformers
with two seperate 3 wire primarys. So with a little work
you can wire them for 100,120,200,240 ...

Hi Kevin,

what do you think about this upgrade for the SRM 717?

The power supply caps should be upgraded (this is supposed to be a very major change). I was told that Blackgate WKZ and Jensen 4-pole electrolytics go very well in that particular circuit. Another significant change is replacing the output transistors with faster ones (for example, 2SC3675) and increasing the standing current of the output stage to approximately 10ma. That will improve both low and high frequency performance of that amplifier.

Thanks!
Nicola

Sep 14, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 12
...my SRM-313 in May 2002 from EIFL and though it had no external switch, inside the unit were bars in metal cradles which you could use to switch the input voltage. I have heard that this is no longer the case, but you can surely unscrew the cover and check it out yourself. I think I recall the bars on my 117V unit being in every other cradle starting with #1.

Come to think of it, Koji Wakabayashi was the one who converted mine from Japanese to US. If the cradles are what you have in your amp, ask him about it.

Finally, I believe this very topic was discussed at length in another post on head-fi.

- Sir Mister Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back