Stax amp. review
Nov 9, 2007 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
There's a newly published review of the Stax SRM-007TII amp (i.e., the Kimik amp), versus SRM-007 amp, for driving a Stax SR-007 headphone. The review concludes that the Kimik amp. is substantially suprior. This review is on page 101 of the Autumn/Winter 2007 issue of "Hi-Fi Choice - Special Edition", which I just saw at Barnes and Noble at a cost of $12.99. I wonder how well the performance of the SRM-007TII/SR-007 combo compares with that of an HEV90/HE90 combo.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will sound pretty good to the untrained ear but when you've heard the difference there is no going back

X2

Cheers,

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will sound pretty good to the untrained ear but when you've heard the difference there is no going back

Thank god I have not heard any of the highly regarded electrostatic amplifiers (KGBH, KGSS, ES-1, ES-2, Blue Hawaii, ...). Cause they are practically impossible to get a hold of.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am very pleased with the SRM-007t. But that might be caused by me never heard anything higher stated.

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
There's a newly published review of the Stax SRM-007TII amp (i.e., the Kimik amp), versus SRM-007 amp, for driving a Stax SR-007 headphone. The review concludes that the Kimik amp. is substantially suprior. This review is on page 101 of the Autumn/Winter 2007 issue of "Hi-Fi Choice - Special Edition", which I just saw at Barnes and Noble at a cost of $12.99. I wonder how well the performance of the SRM-007TII/SR-007 combo compares with that of an HEV90/HE90 combo.

"The review concludes that the Kimik amp. is substantially superior"
This was not the review's conclusion at all!  

Quote:

[size=9.000000pt]It was quickly apparent which of the two energisers was better, but if all you had was the basic model in your system we doubt that you’d feel you were missing out on anything you couldn’t live without. [/size]
It is important to understand that it is not so much better that it devalues the excellent performance of the standard model, yet you will always know and appreciate just where the extra expenditure has gone. 

If you're going to post, make sure you relay information accurately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back