Stax amp makes strange noises sometimes
Nov 24, 2020 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Benoit62

New Head-Fier
I am the happy owner of a Stax SRA-3S amp (rebuilt -all recapped- by the seller, purchased some years ago, and used from time to time).
I recently discovered a strange issue : on both channels, on treble peaks/transient/abrupt notes (i.e : maracas recorded very close to microphone, or some synthetizers...), I can hear a kind of scratching noise, covering the treble signal.
This is not a level input / saturation issue, for lowering my dac output even to minimal level gives exactly the same result.
I have this scratching noise on all my Stax headphones, and it comes for sure from the SRA-3S amp, because the issue is not there when the headphones are used on two other amps (via SRD7 transformer box)
I wonder if this is just an old (60's) design issue, or some component failure (in this case this would be a bit mysterious, since it happens on both channels, the caps and valves are all recent, and the rest of the time the overall sound is clean...I cheked phono/pickup input using my dac on it to compare, and could hear the same scratching noise on treble : so it does not seem to come from the preamp parts, but more from the amp section)
Thank ou for your help...

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 11
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 11
From my experience with tube amps the valves are most likely the culprit. Even if they are "new." I've had too many issues with tubes going bad or having unknown quality issues. Get those checked first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back