Stax 717 and the new 727
Jan 25, 2007 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oso

New Head-Fier
Hello guys

Is there any experience here trying to compare those two amplifiers as far the OmegaII headphone is concerned? The 727 will be soon launched in Europe and I am wondering if the 727 is worth the extra money

Thank you

Olivier

Olivier

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 11
The 727 has a redesigned output stage, so there should be at least some difference in sound. It's doubtful that it'll be anything huge though.

How much more are they charging for the 727?

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 727 has a redesigned output stage, so there should be at least some difference in sound. It's doubtful that it'll be anything huge though.

How much more are they charging for the 727?

I am considering getting a new amp and put in my office. Writing to the US dealer sold me my STAX gear. There are so many choice for STAX amp, and I don't know how to chose between EA1/4, 717/727 or KGSS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarnauga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well,

I don't know its price yet, but for your reference, you can buy a Stax SRM-717 for 1634 Euros last october in Spain from an authorised dealer.

Is it MSRP? The MSRP in US is also twice as expansive compare to the priceJapan. I got mine from authorized dealer for about 10% more than priceJapan.

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 007tA (your 007tII).
I do not have 727 but my friend has it. from my experience on the 007tA and 727 impression by my friend, new STAX amps are more transparent than previous equivalents.

Thanks. I guess I have to find out how much difference in price between 727 and 717.

====
I got reply from my dealer. 4070 is 15% more than priceJanan.

717 is 30% more expansive than priceJapan.

For the price, EA4/KGSS/727 are around the same range. (1.2k~1.5k) It is hard to know which one to buy. I personally preferred SS amp due to electrical property, but when it come to sound experience it is hard to judge tube is superior than SS or vice versa.

BTW, I got quote from another authorized dealer saying he can do 727 for 1600 delivered. For this one, I will consider buy it from priceJapan, since the price difference allows me to buy another amp for backup.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 11
No question the HeadAmp KGSS is the amp for the Stax O2 in this price range. SinglePower ES-1 and Stax amps come up for sale often... no one ever sells their HeadAmp KGSS
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No question the HeadAmp KGSS is the amp for the Stax O2 in this price range. SinglePower ES-1 and Stax amps come up for sale often... no one ever sells their HeadAmp KGSS
wink.gif

i saw quite alot of kgss on sale before i got my es-1

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Is it MSRP? The MSRP in US is also twice as expansive compare to the priceJapan. I got mine from authorized dealer for about 10% more than priceJapan.

1634 Euros is the only price that the authorized distributor - dealer here, in Spain, is asking for the Stax 717 last October. They are also an audio shop. It is the final price so all taxes are included like VAT. There aren't any discount for this stuff, I'm afraid. I remember that some time ago I found German prices (over internet) and they are very similar. The Omega II, for example, is listed (here - Spain) for about double the price that PriceJapan is asking for.
blink.gif
frown.gif

http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/Distributor-Spain.html

I sent an email to Mr. Bernardo Fuentes and he reply me gently and nicely with a list of prices that I'm interested in. So it is not a speculation. Official guarantee.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 11
Got reply from my dealer.

727II system = 2900 (I guess he means 727+O2)
driver only = 1519

At this price, I will consider KGSS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back