Stax 404LE vs. Koss ESP950 w/WA GES?
Jan 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a set of Jade's that I really like, but I want to get another set of Electrostatic Headphones for contrast. The OII is a bit out of reach at the moment, so i am considering the Stax 404 Limited Edition and the Koss ESP-950. It's been a long time since I listened to the 404 and even longer since I've heard the ESP950's.

My amp is a loaded Woo Audio GES with Siltech internal wiring and will have to be my amp for the long term. I don't see another Stat amp in my future for a long time. So the real question is how will my Loaded GES drive these two headphones?

In the late 80's I owned a set of Lambda Pro's with the SS class A amp and I really liked them. I only sold them because my then employer burned down (Goodwin Music System in Cambridge, Ma.) so I found myself on unemployment for the first time and needed the money.

I also owned a set of the ESP950's in about 94, I loved the sound but ultimately sent them packing due to issues with continued crackling sounds (Arcing?).

So how does an amp designed with 580V bias (I believe that's what the GES uses) drive the ESP950's that are designed to use 630V bias? Will an 8% underbias make a significant sonic difference?

And how well does a GES drive the 404 Signatures or 404 Limited Editions? I know the my GES is not the best amp for the OII's, they like a little more drive, but aren't the 404's easier to drive than the OII's?

Any help from those who are familiar with these headphones and this amp woulld be greatly appreciated.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 4
I have never heard the Koss from a GES, but I have spent some time with the 404 (non-LE) with the gilmore triode design.

There is little to say beyond the fact that they are a dreamy match. This was actually the first combo I heard that convinced me that stats were in fact capable of deep and realistic bass. Ironically, the GES's ever-so-slightly rolled off highs tame the 404s' edge.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 404LE (The LE might end up being collectable). It also doesn't hurt that the 404 will plug directly into my amp whereas the 950's would need an adapter.

Maybe I'll order a set when I get back from CES in a couple of weeks, hell maybe someone will be displaying the Stax at CES.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 404LE (The LE might end up being collectable). It also doesn't hurt that the 404 will plug directly into my amp whereas the 950's would need an adapter.

Have to agree. I've not had the LE from my Woo but I have had the 404 and the 950 (which is actually 600V but some have pushed it to 620V, some reporting improvements, others not).

I agree that, even with the Koss Lifetime Warranty, the 950s appear to have a design flaw that leads too frequently to crackling issues for some users (touch wood - mine are kept pristinely dust free to avoid such issues). Meanwhile the 404LE has impressed with many users and, as you indicate, could become quite a collectable.

In terms of SQ you could always tube roll to get a better synergy if you felt you needed to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back