Stax 4040 System or Yamamoto / Audio Technica
Feb 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

flange

New Head-Fier
Newcomer to the forum.
Source Audio Research CD3 Mk11 - Preamp Shindo Masseto.
Looking for comparison between Stax 4040 Kimik Upgrade Complete System and Yamamoto HA-02 with Audio Technica 1000 phones.
Yamamoto looks gorgeous but it is the sound that is important.
Any views?
Best

Peter

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 15
music preferences?
specific tastes?

i dont think you could go wrong though, either way. The one downside to the Stax setup is the lack of options should you find that it doesnt suit your tastes or if you grow bored of it. The HA-02 is an incredible amp that pairs very well with a lot of different dynamics so if the W1000 didnt suit you it would be impossible for you to not find something that wouldnt. Same goes if you wanted to experiment further. Electrostats in general have their own share of upgrades, though it gets expensive very quickly.

If its got to be a blind purchase i'd go for the HA-02 and W1000 personally.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 15
I own a Yamamoto HA-02 and AKG K701 and Grado GS1000 and I really like the really spacious and meaty sound it produces for classical and jazz.

And interestingly, I'm starting on my Stax system for different kind of listening enjoyment.

Also, the source does matter, ie, there's a lot of difference when the music is played through a mid-range cd-player vs an Ipod (personally I feel that the ipod just doesn't give enough weight to the music at the Yamamoto level)

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 15
Yeah you should really try to hear atleast one of these setups somewhere to know what you want. The yamamoto is the safe more versatile choice because of you don't like it with the W1000 you could get a headphone with a completely different signature and it will sound way different. Of course for some people electrostatics is the only way to go, now that I have my sr-404+srm-007t I don't think I can go back.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now that I have my sr-404+srm-007t I don't think I can go back.

I've heard the SR-007A and the SR-404 on the SRM-007t... seems like SRM-007t and SR-404 is a much better combi, and well driven. O2 are just hard to drive

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 15
I own both the Yamamoto HA-02 that I use with my Ultrasone Edition 9s. I also own the Stax SR-007MkII that is power out of a Headamp KGSS with blackgates. Both setups are sourced from Lavry DA10s feed either by my computer or my Slimserver. I enjoy both setups equally.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the srm-007t can probably drive most stax well but the sr-007s are just beastly. Gotta go for the KGBH or KGSS.

I'm going the SRM-717 - SR007s route
tongue.gif

KGBH out of my league... called Justin and he told me that earliest for the next shipment is July /August 09 if I'm to order now

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 15
Stax!!! I got my SR-303's and out of all the headphones I've tried, I have not heard better. I have heard some that are as good, but not better. AD1000's are obsolete imo.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Never heard the Yamamoto HA-02 or Audio Technica 1000, but the 4040 system is really nice. Certainly can't go much wrong with one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax!!! I got my SR-303's and out of all the headphones I've tried, I have not heard better. I have heard some that are as good, but not better. AD1000's are obsolete imo.

Another happy Stax camper... Welcome!
o2smile.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyricalmoments /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going the SRM-717 - SR007s route
tongue.gif

KGBH out of my league... called Justin and he told me that earliest for the next shipment is July /August 09 if I'm to order now

nice the srm-717 seems to be the most recommended amp made by stax.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 15
I tried Jazz and Classical with the Stax 2050II and it is already awesome. If you don't plan to change around the cans and amp for a while I'd go for the Stax. The Yamamoto lets you use all kinds of cans and you can also listen via speakers. Seems like a good combo if you don't already have an amp to drive speakers.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 15
Peter,

Can't comment on the Stax, however owning the Yammy and ATH 1K, I believe it is a terrific pairing. Admittedly, by themselves, some of my other cans / amps can best them in total or part. However, the synergy between the two is indeed special.

Though I've got a fair amount of Head-Fi and HiFi kit, if it was necessary to give it all up and hold up to just one rig, I'd stick with the Yammy & ATH 1K and be more than happy.

Cheers,
Garry

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 15
I would say that you absolutely need to try Stax before investing a lot in a setup. Maybe try and find someone to lend you a set of portable stax or a SR-5/SRD5-6 setup. If you somewhat like it and crave more detail, bass and soundstage - then go for the Stax system.

If impact of notes is critical to the way that you listen, then go with the Dynamic.

I will say that IMO, Stax have more detail - soundstage - speed than almost any dynamic headphone ever made. Another avenue to consider is a k1000 system. The impact of dynamics, detail and soundstage of electrostatics. Maybe not quite a fast, but dang nice in its own right. The GS1000 has upper mids that never really smooth over (heard many pairs and even many of the headphone gods agree - maybe the PS1000 fixed this). Some people like myself really like the CD3000 drivers and they do sound very nice with very good resolution. The DX1000 has many similarities in terms of the ability to disappear (they just have a bass hump - if you like bass...). They are probably the bassiest of the high resolution headphones that you have a chance of being able to buy.

My view is that you should find the headphones first and the amp later.
I am sure that there are Head-fiers in the area who could help you out in this!

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 15
I finally settle for the Stax O2 II + 717 route, I have to say the first thing I look out for was the amp, since most of the newer Stax amp can't really drive the Omegas properly (the O2s are just power crazy).

The details and the accuracy of the timbre and soundstage is already good enough reason for me to go the Stax route. Dynamic headphones are fun to listen to for pop and rock, but when it comes to really demanding orchestral music, Stax , esp the O2s, gives you the headroom. I can pretty much isolate and focus on the different instruments even at the busiest sections of the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back