Stax 4040 sig II system vs a good qualoity dynamic system.
Jan 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

c3p0

100+ Head-Fier
Ok guys I am considering trying out a stax based system and was would like to hear about the main differences in the sound between a good dynamic based system compared to the stax 4040 II (which I am considering buying).

I have read many a thread and used the search function to read a few threads the last few days before making this thread. Tried reading the stax thread also lol.

My source is the qbd76 and I currently have hd650/hd800 phones with a graham slee srg with psu 1.

What are the main differences between the two setups? I listen to a lot of vocals and instruments in my music.

Any opinions and feedback/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 23
The main differences between the two set up is quite a lot.. just about everything I guess.

The HD650 is dark and not so fast. The HD800 is faster, but not as fast as an electrostat or an ortho. The HD800 is probably superior in a lot of aspects than the Stax, but the Stax does have its own sound that makes it special as an electrostatic.

The HD800 actually is more revealing of the source than any Stax, except perhaps the top of the line Omegas. So, with a Stax, it's probably easier to get a nice musical set up than you would need to with the HD800.

If you haven't heard an electrostatic, I'll advice you to get one and try it out, cause the experience is quite different than a dynamic.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main differences between the two set up is quite a lot.. just about everything I guess.

The HD650 is dark and not so fast. The HD800 is faster, but not as fast as an electrostat or an ortho. The HD800 is probably superior in a lot of aspects than the Stax, but the Stax does have its own sound that makes it special as an electrostatic.

The HD800 actually is more of the source than any Stax, except perhaps the top of the line Omegas. So, with a Stax, it's probably easier to get a nice musical set up than you would need to with the HD800.

If you haven't heard an electrostatic, I'll advice you to get one and try it out, cause the experience is quite different than a dynamic.

So, some Stax systems are friendly and not too revealing with source.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 23
The differences are less dramatic than you'd think and vary more from model to model than vary between "dynamic" and "electrostatic". I think the 404's are a good compromise between the excessively dark sound of the HD650 and the slightly bright sound of the HD800. I can tell you flat-out that I extensively compared the 404's to the HD800 at the recent NJ micro-meet at wavoman's house and the 404's do not have the detail that the HD800's have, but I strongly prefer their overall presentation. The 404's have great soundstage and very pleasing, easy to listen to presentation akin to older Grados but without the coloration and with more detail.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The differences are less dramatic than you'd think and vary more from model to model than vary between "dynamic" and "electrostatic". I think the 404's are a good compromise between the excessively dark sound of the HD650 and the slightly bright sound of the HD800. I can tell you flat-out that I extensively compared the 404's to the HD800 at the recent NJ micro-meet at wavoman's house and the 404's do not have the detail that the HD800's have, but I strongly prefer their overall presentation. The 404's have great soundstage and very pleasing, easy to listen to presentation akin to older Grados but without the coloration and with more detail.

Are the 404's very musical sounding?

Also, have you compared the Stax 404's to the AKG K701's?

I read in some places that some people discribe the K701 as very analytical.

Shane.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, some Stax systems are friendly and not too revealing with source.

They're pretty revealing, just not as revealing as the HD800 (which is actually not such a good thing with the HD800, cause then you really have to choose your CDs, and your favorite band may not have recorded their album in the best possible way).

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 23
The 404LE is a very musical headphone. Very different sound from the ruthless detail and neutrality of a 4070 for example. FWIR I'd expect the HD800 to be similar to the 4070 in this regard. The 4070 is the perfect headphone for perfectly recorded music but makes you see all the faults in bad music. The 404LE is good with everything and much more gentle on the crappy recordings.
Make sure you give them a try, maybe go for a used set so the resell costs are close to none.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the 404's very musical sounding?

Also, have you compared the Stax 404's to the AKG K701's?

I read in some places that some people discribe the K701 as very analytical.

Shane.

It's hard to compare the two, cause even the K701 will still sound like a dynamic, and the 404s are electrostats. They will give you a different sound. Personally, I think you will be very satisfied with the 404s or even better, the 404 LEs.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard to compare the two, cause even the K701 will still sound like a dynamic, and the 404s are electrostats. They will give you a different sound. Personally, I think you will be very satisfied with the 404s or even better, the 404 LEs.

What is the difference between the Stax 404 and 404 LEs?

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 23
I recently sold off my HD800 because I bought an older Stax Lambda rig (the 404 is the updated Lambda) and I was spending all my time listening to the Stax. Everything about them is wonderful to my ears - nice bass that is pretty deep and punchy, an extremely involving midrange, outstanding treble detail and extension, very impressive speed, and fantastic imaging (albeit with a smaller headstage than the HD800 or K701). I really think they're phenomenal headphones, among the most musical I have heard or owned. The HD800 may be slightly better in a number of technical aspects, but I didn't enjoy them as much as the Lambdas. They're just so effortless in their presentation - give Stax a shot!

I have a 404LE on the way, but haven't received them yet so can't give any impressions.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 23
Jan 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently sold off my HD800 because I bought an older Stax Lambda rig (the 404 is the updated Lambda) and I was spending all my time listening to the Stax. Everything about them is wonderful to my ears - nice bass that is pretty deep and punchy, an extremely involving midrange, outstanding treble detail and extension, very impressive speed, and fantastic imaging (albeit with a smaller headstage than the HD800 or K701). I really think they're phenomenal headphones, among the most musical I have heard or owned. The HD800 may be slightly better in a number of technical aspects, but I didn't enjoy them as much as the Lambdas. They're just so effortless in their presentation - give Stax a shot!

I have a 404LE on the way, but haven't received them yet so can't give any impressions.

Very informative post thanks. I think I will have to have an audition now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back