STAX 404 with SRM-006t II Upgrades?
Jun 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chris 007

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm pretty new to STAX and am enjoying my new (new to me anyway) 404 signature kit
smile.gif

Just wondering for the future what would be the best upgrades for this kit. Would it be an energiser update to Kimik or would it be a head speaker upgrade to the 507's?

Or in your opinion would any upgrade give very little in the way sound improvements.

Cheers,

Chris

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 3
My first recommendation would be to just keep enjoying what you have - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you simply must upgrade then...

A while ago, I had the kimik upgrade done to my SRM-007t mk1. The upgrade was worth the proportional extra cost, but no night-and-day change, just a bit more of everything that was the original. I imagine the same would apply to your SRM-006t mk2.

Some say, including me, that the 404 sig has an upper mid peak, which got on my nerves after a while, so I upgraded to O2s, which were a massive improvement. However, some may actually like the extra presence that that gives, so you need to make up your own mind. I haven't heard the 507, but from other posts, I would say that the 507 would give a bigger improvement than the kimik mod.

Now go read that big Stax thread to find more answers than you could possibly have imagined
smile_phones.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 3
I like my 404 and LNS with the back foam removed.  This gets rid of some of the mid range harshness and opens up the sonic stage a bit.  Just peel back the corners of the pads, remove the 4 screws, pry the baffle off and pull out the foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back