Stax 007tII tube rolling?
Aug 3, 2007 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my 007tII but can't use it for another week or so until I get my DAC back but I'm already wondering about swapping out tubes. Any info on this?

How do you bias the tubes? What are some ideas on brands?

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Bump......

I am glad to see that you went with the STAX. I am very close to pulling the trigger on this myself. Somehow I think about it much more than the GES from the international show.

So, I am intersted in Tube options on this as well. It comes with:

6FQ7/6CG7 type x 4

Looks like there is a GE and Tung-Sol of the 6FQ7 and 6CG7.

I found some information on http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/index.php

There are some substitues but they are at a different filament voltage, and I am not smart enough at this point to know what that means to the STAX.

Cheers,

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 5
I haven't been able to listen to my Omega setup because my DAC is at empirical audio getting more mods and the wait is painful. I wore the cans for a minute not hooked up to anythign just to experience them. weird? definitely.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on tubes to roll but i do remember reading a while back that changing the tubes on the 007 is a tricky situation, especially when it comes to biasing them.

I have an HE60 to try out of the 007tII for comparison...i don't think i can wait much longer for my DAC to come home.

Woo Audio has an in-home demo program so after I get familiar with the stax on the Omega and HE60 I think I'll borrow a GES to compare. it never ends.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo Audio has an in-home demo program so after I get familiar with the stax on the Omega and HE60 I think I'll borrow a GES to compare. it never ends.

Jack never mentioned that. I might go after a 007tII as well and then give the GES a home demo. It really is the upgrade factor that makes me look at the GES very hard (Caps, tubes, etc). But that is with a small pile of extra cash.

Maybe post into the STAX thread and see if anyone has ideas on the tubes for the 007tII.

Cheers,

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 5
I did a good bit of searching for my future 007tt purchase and here's what I found.
for 007 applications specifically;
Toshiba recommended by Hirsh in an older Tube Asylum post
Mazda/Brimar recommended by K Deal (Upscale audio)
Raytheon-US made, good for "waking up dark sounding systems"
RCA cleartops gray plates/side getter for above reasons
6fq7/6cg7 in general;
Dumont (genuine, not relabeled)
Matsu****a
RCA older black plate
Tung-sol with center shields
GE late production, green label
Give Jim McShane a holler, he's a great tube seller and know tons about this type.http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back