Stax 007 mk-1
Jan 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
Spritzer - many thx. When you say modify the amp you mean modify My current T1, right? If so any of the two tube types you recommend better than the other?    Brads

I'm pretty sure that he was referring to the 007t amp, not the T1 (which I also have).

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #18 of 24
Spritzer - now actually have two question to the modification you propose:

1) are you taking about modification of the SRM T1 or a 007ta?
2) to replace the 6CG7 tubes with either ECC99's or 6S4A's, what exact description do you give to the hifi repair shop. Talked to the alleged local experts and they asked me for a better description. what do I tell them to do more precisely. Pls excuse the ignorance...

brgds  

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 24
bcg27 - thanks for the warnings. I would not be capable to do myself so intend ask professionals to assist. How complex is the modification and how should I guide them as to what is required to be done?   brgds

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 24
6S4A mod would only work with the 007t since they are single triodes.  ECC99's would also work there but they do stress the amp a bit more. 

Same reason why I don't recommend doing this mod to the T1 unless you verify that the particular amp is compatible.  Quite a few versions out there of these amps and the mod does place some extra strain which needs to be accounted for. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #21 of 24
Spritzer, I'm having the hardest time locating a good quality 717! Now found instead (on head-fi) an almost new 727 with 117 voltage. A couple of questions: 1) can all such units be relatively easily converted to 220/230v? 2) is there a link to a good exact description of the "spitzer 727 mod"? 3) what will the approx cost be to conduct max level of recommended modification to a 727? 4) given item-3 above would it match a standard 717 in sound quality? 5) would you be willing to take care of the modification? (regret not aware whether even according to rule and/or protocol to ask such question here...) Brgds

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 24
the mod procedure is shown on another website, google "stax srm-727 thread" and you'll find it. the mod is pretty simple to perform, you just add 4 resistors on each of the output board and you're done. The volatge conversion isn't straigtforward either, you have to rewire to trasoformer primary windings in the correct code. It's been mentioned acouple of times times in the main stax thread, agood way to find it is using this neat search tool: http://headfi.qix.it/

The modded 727 is suspposed to be more linear and articulate compared to a 717, IIRC spritzer once mentioned the differnce from a standard KGSS is negligible, and IME with the 717 and KGSS it's anything but...

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #23 of 24
Thx Amarphael, excellent tips! On that basis I think it is time to get hold of the 727 to replace my t1 which surely is creating some bass trouble for my O2s. Seems no amount of source upgrades is able take care of that...

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #24 of 24
All Stax units operating on 117V can easily be modified to 230V.  The 100V units can be more problematic due to Stax anti-graymarket measures. 

While I've done a number of those mods in the past as favors I just don't have the time these days.  It's also a nightmare to get anything shipped here due to high customs fees. 

I do think the 727 is an upgrade over the 717 once the mod has been performed but the KGSS still has the edge.  More current so that is hardly unreasonable plus a better output stage.  Still for the price the 727 is a very, very good deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back