Static while streaming thru Firewire port
Jan 18, 2006 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

canloader

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else experienced this? I have a DELL XPS400 2.8Ghz Dual Core w/1Gb DDR2. I'm also using foobar. I have a Seagate 400Gb external drive to house my music. The problem is that while the music is playing and the drive is accessed either for the music or to transfer data I get a bad cracking/popping sound! I tried the USB port and wholla no popping/cracking. But I can't possibly live with the slow USB connection.
Any ideas ? The firewire is a USB/Firewire PCI card. Maybe change PCI slots?
What could it be?

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 11
Looks like I'm alone....
frown.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 11
i'm experiencing clicks/pops with my audiophile firewire right now too. i had the problem fixed before i formatted my computer, but i can't remember how i did it for the life of me. perhaps having two threads related to this at the same time will prompt a good answer from somebody.

Jan 19, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
Anyone else experienced this? I have a DELL XPS400 2.8Ghz Dual Core w/1Gb DDR2. I'm also using foobar. I have a Seagate 400Gb external drive to house my music. The problem is that while the music is playing and the drive is accessed either for the music or to transfer data I get a bad cracking/popping sound! I tried the USB port and wholla no popping/cracking. But I can't possibly live with the slow USB connection.
Any ideas ? The firewire is a USB/Firewire PCI card. Maybe change PCI slots?
What could it be?

did you using the USB off the same card when you tested the drive with USB? If not, get a better firewire card with much better power filtering. Is the drive powered by the firewire, or does it have it's own supply?

Peter

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 11
ok, update your chipset drivers for your motherboard. especially if you have a via chipset. and get it from the chipset manufacturer, not the motherboard manufacturer.

i believe this is what i did to solve my problem last time too... should eliminate weird irq problems with the firewire, even if it doesn't change the irq's (which it probably won't)

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Hi, Great info! Thanks ~ !
To update:

I tried the chipset upgrade.. no change.
I checked to make sure there was no prob with the IRQ...
Soo I tried out a new $ Belkin 3 port firewire PCI and wholla! no pops/cracks.
It was the piece of @%$ no name Fry's brand firewire card.

Thanks for the help -

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
Hi, Great info! Thanks ~ !
To update:

I tried the chipset upgrade.. no change.
I checked to make sure there was no prob with the IRQ...
Soo I tried out a new $ Belkin 3 port firewire PCI and wholla! no pops/cracks.
It was the piece of @%$ no name Fry's brand firewire card.

Thanks for the help -

As for the INFO: From MS Support pages:

#1 ------------------------------

If you are running XP SP2, did you apply the Microsoft 1394 patch?

[size=xx-small]SYMPTOMS
After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased.

CAUSE
This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade.[/size]

#2 ------------------------------

Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance.

[size=xx-small]SYMPTOMS
Computers that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features, such as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) processor performance states, require Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Additional updates are available to optimize performance and behavior on computers that are running Windows XP SP2. Without these updates, computers that are equipped with these power management-capable, mobile, dual-core processors may experience decreased performance or unexpected behavior.

Note This problem also applies to x64-based versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003.[/size]

jiitee

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee
As for the INFO: From MS Support pages:

#1 ------------------------------

If you are running XP SP2, did you apply the Microsoft 1394 patch?

[size=xx-small]SYMPTOMS
After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased.

CAUSE
This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade.[/size]

#2 ------------------------------

Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance.

[size=xx-small]SYMPTOMS
Computers that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features, such as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) processor performance states, require Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Additional updates are available to optimize performance and behavior on computers that are running Windows XP SP2. Without these updates, computers that are equipped with these power management-capable, mobile, dual-core processors may experience decreased performance or unexpected behavior.

Note This problem also applies to x64-based versions of Microsoft Windows Server 2003.[/size]

jiitee

Hey - Thanks
I will look into it-
If it works I will report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back