Static sound with headphones ? Soundcard issue or headset
May 13, 2014 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shak85

100+ Head-Fier
Guys i have a weird issue with the sound produced from my headset . I have hippo vb and vsonic gr02 earphones  . When i plugin to the headphone port i can hear static sound / interference when listening to low volume or no music at all . It is annoying and only when i increase the volume the static sound is not noticeable . I have tried 3 headphones and all have this issue with my hp probook . I have tried the same set on my iphone , no static sound there . I have also tried a dac no static sound as well . I have tried this on 2 different oses (windows and mac) and static sound is there

So does this mean that the soundcard on my notebook is cheap and doesn't perform well ? 

Anyone else have a similar issue ? Is there a way to minimize this ?

In my hp 6730b static sound exists but in much lower intensity .

May 13, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Wierd that you notice it only at low level, it's usually the opposite...

Have you tried to disconnect everything on your laptop (any usb/hdmi/power... cable/devices), shutting down the microphone & line in, turning off the WiFi/Bt and listen to it again ? (Care to the mic, a lot of card make some noise when the mic/line in are not cut off, but it should behave the other way, the higher volume you're listening, the more noise you're hearing)

If you can still hear the noise after that, IMHO, I would assume it's a hardware trouble. A last test you could do would be to cut off the heaphone out from the software mixer. If you still hear that sound afterwards, It's certainly a hardware fault (the opposite reasoning is not true however)

Btw, is the sound high or low frequency ?

May 14, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Wierd that you notice it only at low level, it's usually the opposite...

Have you tried to disconnect everything on your laptop (any usb/hdmi/power... cable/devices), shutting down the microphone & line in, turning off the WiFi/Bt and listen to it again ? (Care to the mic, a lot of card make some noise when the mic/line in are not cut off, but it should behave the other way, the higher volume you're listening, the more noise you're hearing)

If you can still hear the noise after that, IMHO, I would assume it's a hardware trouble. A last test you could do would be to cut off the heaphone out from the software mixer. If you still hear that sound afterwards, It's certainly a hardware fault (the opposite reasoning is not true however)

Btw, is the sound high or low frequency ?

The sound is heard on low volume because there is no loud music covering the static , that is why it can't be heard . But if i increase the volume without anything playing on the background the static sound won't increase , it's the same volume . When i use the mouse to move the static sound varies . I've seen other replies from other threads that this normal on pc soundcards because of electrical interferences . When i use usb dac there is not static intereference , so for now i m using the usb dac . Microphone is on all the time and my laptop is on a cooling base . I ve tried these two headsets on other laptop (hippo vb , vsonic gr02) and there is minimal static sound . The only headset i have tried and no producing static sound is lucadris in-ear headphones . Probably the other two headsets  are low impedance sensitive IEM's

May 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 9
The issue is exactly as you have just described: Static interference due to the components of the internal soundcard recieving static from your computer. The only way around this is to use an external soundcard.

May 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 9
The issue is exactly as you have just described: Static interference due to the components of the internal soundcard recieving static from your computer. The only way around this is to use an external soundcard.

Totally agree with that, there is no workaround for that problematic,
except if you'd like to get your computer appart and try to put a Faraday cage around the audio components :wink:

May 19, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 9

Isn't a usb dac similar to a external soundcard ? Cause i'm using dac at the moment

May 19, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 9
A external soundcard integrates a DAC. A USB DAC has one global purpose (creating the analog signal from a digital one) and may include features like a SPDIF interface or a headphones amplifier. An external soundcard has usually these features and also ADC features (digitalizing an analog signal from a mic or line input). A professional soundcard embeds also others features such as MIDI interface (in/out) and multiple in/out analog/digital channels.
So the choice depends of your own purpose. If you just want to listen to music, the external DAC will be the best option, since you can focus on the quality of that component.

May 21, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 9
A external soundcard integrates a DAC. A USB DAC has one global purpose (creating the analog signal from a digital one) and may include features like a SPDIF interface or a headphones amplifier. An external soundcard has usually these features and also ADC features (digitalizing an analog signal from a mic or line input). A professional soundcard embeds also others features such as MIDI interface (in/out) and multiple in/out analog/digital channels.
So the choice depends of your own purpose. If you just want to listen to music, the external DAC will be the best option, since you can focus on the quality of that component.

I have ordered a usb dac , ELE Dac and a pa2v2 amp . Sorry for the noob question but could an amp disappear the static sound or it will maximize the static sound ? I mean an amp alone, with no dac 

May 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Yes it does, an amp does amplify whatever the signal is, it's not that clever 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back