Static noise with new sound card.
Jan 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bar333

New Head-Fier
Hey, so here's my problem, i bought a new soundcard because my onboard one went bust, it's a cheap Creative Audigy SE, but it seems to produce some sort of static white noise on both my speakers and my headphones set, that wasn't there before.

On the speaker settings (Driver software) i can tick a 'Digital Output Only' box which completely disables the noise but of course, also seems to disable sound alltogether.
The static sound is always there, both when there is output and also when there shouldn't be any output, like just looking at the desktop.
Some stuff i noticed are, raising the playback volume (via Windows) raises the volume of the noise as well, and of course that muting it also eliminates the noise.
I don't really know what it means, but i guess it means that it's not hardware related and isn't coming from interference in the case?

I'd appreciate help with this, thanks.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Check the soundcard is inserted properly and theres no dust or dirt between the contacts, clean out the slot on the board with some compressed air, also the problem could be driver/software related, make sure your using the lastest drivers and disable all effects.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 5
I doubt there's dust between the contacts, i bought the card practically a couple of hours ago, it's brand new. I also cleaned my entire case from dust while i was at it.
My drivers are the newest to my knowledge, and i've got no effects on.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 5
I've found a solution, to all you future googlers out there with the same problem, update the drivers to the newest version (What i found online wasn't the right driver, install from the disc and use the auto-updater to get the latest version), then try going into Volume Control on the taskbar near the time, and disable some unused audio channels. For me i needed to disable the line-in channel and the buzzing static noise stopped and i'm having clear sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back