Static noise iems
Dec 10, 2023 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

a1icia

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new to iems and such and need help. So I use the elgato wave xlr usb interface and I recently got my first pair of iems. I will be using the iems mainly for gaming and listening to music. The iems I got are the final audio a4000. The issue I have is when I plug my iems directly in the wave xlr and there is some kind of static/hissing noise.. So basically I don't know what to do. Do I NEED to get a dac or something? I just wanna be able to use my iems without the static noise driving me crazy

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi @a1icia and welcome. :)
You could use something like a iFi iEMatch, but considering its price, you might also want to consider something like a Moondrop Click (for not much money) or Tanchjim Space (for a bit more money), and you should be able to use those with a phone or a tablet as well.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi @a1icia and welcome. :)
You could use something like a iFi iEMatch, but considering its price, you might also want to consider something like a Moondrop Click (for not much money) or Tanchjim Space (for a bit more money), and you should be able to use those with a phone or a tablet as well.
Could I possibly plug in the iems directly to my pc as well? I don't know if that would make a difference.. also if I were to connect it directly to like my motherboard I'd need an extension cord, would that make the audio quality worse?

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Could I possibly plug in the iems directly to my pc as well? I don't know if that would make a difference.. also if I were to connect it directly to like my motherboard I'd need an extension cord, would that make the audio quality worse?
Yep, you sure can try that as well - I'd assumed you already have, apologies for that.
It might well make a difference, but the only way to find out is to try it out. If it works, you could then get an extension cable and be sorted.
An extension cable should not affect audio quality, unless it's a bad cable in some way.

Just make sure to lower the volume before plugging your in-ears into the PC, in case it would be cranked up by default.

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 13
Yep, you sure can try that as well - I'd assumed you already have, apologies for that.
It might well make a difference, but the only way to find out is to try it out. If it works, you could then get an extension cable and be sorted.
An extension cable should not affect audio quality, unless it's a bad cable in some way.

Just make sure to lower the volume before plugging your in-ears into the PC, in case it would be cranked up by default.
Thank you! :D

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 13
What likely happened here is too much circuit noise from the elgato for the A4K's 18Ω impedance to handle. You likely would not have heard hissing if you used a typical headphone with 32Ω or higher impedance. IEMs tend to be more sensitive than HPs.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 13
What likely happened here is too much circuit noise from the elgato for the A4K's 18Ω impedance to handle. You likely would not have heard hissing if you used a typical headphone with 32Ω or higher impedance. IEMs tend to be more sensitive than HPs.
Oh that makes sense I guess, what kind of device would I have to plug "in-between" The elgato xlr and iems for it to not make a hissing noise?

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 13
Oh that makes sense I guess, what kind of device would I have to plug "in-between" The elgato xlr and iems for it to not make a hissing noise?
iFi iEMatch I mentioned in my first reply should sort this out without changing how the A4000 sound.
However, if you're happy with using the Samsung USB-C dongle, then I suppose you're sorted.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi I'm new to iems and such and need help. So I use the elgato wave xlr usb interface and I recently got my first pair of iems. I will be using the iems mainly for gaming and listening to music. The iems I got are the final audio a4000. The issue I have is when I plug my iems directly in the wave xlr and there is some kind of static/hissing noise.. So basically I don't know what to do. Do I NEED to get a dac or something? I just wanna be able to use my iems without the static noise driving me crazy

Put it in low impedance mode for IEM's, instructions at:
https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/articles/6158406112909-Elgato-Wave-XLR-Low-Impedance-Mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back