Static / Noise from PC Rig?
Feb 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LostChild1

100+ Head-Fier
My setup is:

M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 -> WooAudio WA6 -> Audeze LCD-2

and I find that to get the sound loud enough to be listenable, it introduces a static (even when not playing music) and the static is amplified whenever I move the mouse (which isn't ideal, since I'd like to listen and browse at the same time of course)

Any idea what I could do to remedy this?

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 4
Try this first:

Turn the volume down to 75% on your PC and up to whatever level you need it on the amp section.  Perhaps you are clipping or over driving the circuit which is adding noise.

It could also simply be that the DAC inside the M-Audio does not suppress the noise floor enough to clean up the signal.  Typically a DAC should be good enough to completely elininate the noise of both your PC clock and mouse ( common noise factors ).  My Bithead and m903 both reduce the noise to virtually nothing to where I cannot hear either when the room is quiet and I have headphones on.

My honest answer is that the DAC is not doing a great job at reducing the noise floor.

Just out of curiocity how are you feeding the signal from your PC into the M-Audio and then your amp?

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 4
How am I feeding the sound card?

I run foobar2000 with FLAC, with ASIO. So I don't think the problem lies there.

I think you're right with the problem lying in the DAC of the M-Audio. I'm hopefully upgrading soon to an NFB-2.1, so hopefully that'll help. :)

Side question, if I have an optical out from the M-Audio, and an optical out direct from the motherboard, it shouldn't technically matter which of the two I use to send the signal to the NFB-2, right?

Thanks for the reply!

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 4
I have some light static too that is noticeable, for the most part, only at the beginning and end of tracks. Using Foobar w/WASAPI and FLAC Files, experience some static on both my creative xtreme music and asus xonar essence stx through my brainwavz hm5's. I'm resigned to the fact that I cannon get rid of this 100% without external dac/amp setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back