Static issues in amp construction?
Mar 2, 2005 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

davidl

New Head-Fier
Some parts I've gotten for this amp come in ESD safe bags. I know that some computer boards can be damaged by static, but can opamps, JFET's or buffers? Even the boards came in such protection and static can't be an issue for a board.

Thanks for the help with my newbie question.

Dave

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 6
In theory static can damage any IC. In practice it's unlikely. The other thing thoes bags provide is protection from humidity. Even when they aren't airtightly sealed some protection is better then no protection.

The boards may have been put into thoes bags because thoes are the only bags the company had or uses.

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 6
Ed ur paranoid
tongue.gif

I take off my socks when walking on carpet, and that's about it. Then even only when playing with expensive / soic chips.

Just call me sadistic
rolleyes.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Garbz, youre sadistic (i had to keep it goin
biggrin.gif
)

I dont have a carpet, so not as much chance for static. i dont take any precautions, but after all, im working with cheap components...

Just call me stupid.
confused.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 6
On motherboard's it's particularly the CMOS devices subject to static damage. All the amp parts we're working with aren't too sensative, relatively, but still there is a risk, if you knew what you were doing you could easily destroy these parts by shuffling around to build up a charge then zappin' a part against a grounded object.

If one doesn't want to go whole-hog and get mats and straps, etc, etc, at least you can have a grounded metal piece of equipment nearby and discharge yourself by touching it after walking around or large brushing-against-fabrics or desks or whatever. So, you were grounded and picked up an opamp, walked across the room and built-up a few thousand volts of charge... What to do? Do NOT put down the opamp "first". First use your other hand to touch a grounded object, preferribly also wherever you'll be placing that part, and once you are at same potential as the target area, THEN put the opamp (or whatever) in contact with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back