Static from Schiit lyr in right channel, switching the tubes does not switch the static. Where to go from here?
Jul 5, 2016 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gamerfry

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I've had a schiit lyr for 3 years now and I love it, but a couple of weeks ago I started getting a LOUD static in the right channel. Switching the tubes doesn't switch the static so it isn't the tubes. I've switched out my headphone cables and that doesn't fix it. I've moved the amp into an isolated area with no inputs plugged in and that also doesn't fix it. At this point the only things I can think of are the pots or a bad cap. Unfortunately, I don't know how to determine if it's a cap or the pot, and if it's a cap I don't know how to determine which cap it is. Do any of you know how to locate the bad component and how I would go about fixing it? I have a really solid multimeter and soldering iron if either of those are needed. Thanks!

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 2
It could be the headphone / speaker so check that first.

Next take a look inside the amp and check the grounding for that channel.

It might be a worn tube socket, but first unplug the amp, let the tubes drain, and clean the sockets with some high-grade isopropyl alcohol or socket cleaner.

Here is another thread that might help ya out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597810/tube-amp-help-whats-causing-this-static-sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back