Static electricty from my hands passing through my headphones and into my soundcard are causing the card to malfunction. Cheap fix Ideas?
Dec 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

WeatherReport

New Head-Fier
Howdy,

First, humble apologies for this being not only my first post but also a question post. Second, my audio gear is not very nice. I am a disabled burn survivor and my uncle bought me a bunch of parts to build a computer so I would not feel so isolated. Ergo budget gear.

My headphones are SteelSeries Siberia V2's with 3.5mm jacks, the sound card is an Asus Xonar DG. At first I thought something had gone wrong with my headphones since most of the noise was coming thought the left channel(clicking, fuzz, overall strange feedback type stuff) so I took apart the left earcup and checked the wiring which was all fine. Second step was trying to recreate the issue and that is when discovered the shock from my fingers causing the exact same symptoms.

A fresh boot completely fixes the problem but I am really searching for a fix that will eliminate the issue altogether. 

Thank you all for your consideration of this question
smile.gif
, cheers- WeatherReport 

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 6
That's really weird. But that really shouldn't happen as your computer should be grounded, if I'm understanding physics correctly.. Check your ground. Also check it with a different set of headphones and see if it persists.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I agree, it is very weird. These are my only headphones, or speakers of any kind. These are the tests I have tried just to make sure it is not all coincidence. Tried the headphones with my ipod, sound was fine. Tried the static from my fingers on the cans with ipod, no symptoms. Removed the soundcard and went direct through the jacks the board has, perfect sound no symptoms, tried it with shock on my phones multiple times, perfect sound. Reinstalled the sound card, out of about six tries the only time the weird noise did not happen was when the shock was very mild.

Something about this time of year where I live there is an abundance of static, lately I have just been trying to make sure i discharge myself on something before I grab the phones. As far as grounding the case I am not sure how to do that. I always ground myself before working on it but I am not sure how to ground the computer itself. I always assumed since the power supply is a three prong plug that that was how the computer was grounded. If there is a more professional way of grounding let me know and I will try it.

Another thing I just noticed typing this up, there a small bit of fuzz that is barely there when I am typing! Each click creates a  tiny bit of noise on the left channel.

This thing has really got me stumped. I am almost thinking there is a small power leak on the mobo maybe. Faulty ground connection in the outlet I am using? 

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Have you tried disabling all the input devices in DG Control Panel ?  Have you tried plugging the Siberia in another jack (rear or frontal) ?  Have you tried connecting the DG in another pci slot ?
Good luck !

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Tried another pci slot and the same issue, tried the front audio ports with the connection to the xonar in both pci slots, same issue. And I tried disabling all the input devices, same problem :'| No worries though, it is an extremely cheap card, plus it was used by my uncle before it got to me. Perhaps something happened to it when he shipped it to me.

Like I said, it has been a real head scratcher for me. I also tried the drivers from asus as well as the universal one. Anyway, thanks for the good luck.

Also, another apology as I missed the email that said exactly which forum to post in first, and it was not this one :/

please don't hold it against me, and thank you all- WeatherReport

Users who are viewing this thread

Back