Static Electricity and Computer/audio Equipment
Jan 6, 2006 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

655dmd

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

Lately, it seems that I have experienced increased static electricity in my home. This is likely due to the dryness in the air. When I go to adjust my amp or laptop, I get a static discharge accompanied by a momentary dropout in sound. I try to discharge before touching my equipment, but sometimes I still zap my gear.

How detrimental is this to my equipment? I know when inside a computer static can be deadly. What about externally for my laptop, sound card and harddrive. What about my amp, dac, etc?

Is there a simple solution to my problem without spending big bucks on a humidifier? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks.

David

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 4
I usually just drag around a chain tied to my ankle.

Cheap and simple, right?

sue me :p

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 4
If the static is causing noise in your headphones, it may not be completely healthy. I would discharge by touching with your hands a metal part of anything grounded. In my case, my computer is encased in aluminum, but with a laptop you may have to get creative. A metal lamp grounded at the plug would do. If you feel static discharge and the unit is properly grounded, you're pretty safe. You definitely want to stay away from from inputs or outputs jacks or plugs of any kind, whether it's your sound card, amp, or headphones.

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Humidifiers are great, really.

If you ever want some pain (and this has happened to me on several occasions): wear a sweater/jacket/clothing that is susceptible to static electricity for a while. Also, wear earbuds or headphones that are very close to your ears. With the earbuds on and connected to your sound source, take sweater/jacket off. Curse like a mad man
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back