Starving Student PCB's
Sep 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #62 of 392
For anybody interested, the board measures exactly 3"x3". It looks better in person than in the pics, exuding a feel of quality. I'll probably make a plexiglass window in the top of my case, it looks that good. I ordered a 5"x4"x2" aluminum box from Mouser, but after measuring the board, I would have gone with the 4"x4"x2" box.

These and many different sizes of aluminum and steel boxes, in natural and black, are available from Mouser, they just take some searching (Mouser's selection is gigantic) Here's the page in their catalog with links to their respective pages. http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/2119.pdf  It's the same style of box that n_maher used, displayed in the second post of the original ss thread.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #64 of 392
Any A50K stereo audio taper will do. If you're going to mount it directly to the board, you'll ideally want to order one with 15mm pin spacing. The pot listed in the BOM is from Mouser, and has 12mm pin spacing. I learned this after buying all of the parts and having the board arrive last (no complaints, it was actually quick for overseas). As far as I could tell, Mouser doesn't carry a 15mm pot of the right spec, but don't worry. The pins on the 12 mm pot will easily fit this board with a little bending with some needlenose pliers. The center pins are perfect, and the outside pins need to be bent only 1.5 mm outwards, I can confirm here that the pieces fit in this manner, with just enough length for proper soldering.

In case you don't like bending, or aren't ordering from Mouser, I pm'd Fred about this, and he said that he gets the 15mm pots from ebay.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #66 of 392
Hey guys,

recieved my boards yesterday. Greatly appreciated! They are nicely done and will serve me well. Thanks fred!

Now on to the hard part: The tubes. I just realised, that 19J6 tubes are near impossible to find in europe. And if i'm willing to pay shipping from the US (ebay) they go around 30$ per tube. This is far more then i'm willing to spend on this. I'll keep looking on ebay but in the meanwhile:
Anyone know a source for the tubes around europe (reasonably priced, i'm willing to pay up to 40€ shipping included)?
Alternatively, which Tubes are suitable without changing the layout. I'm fine with changing values all over, as i've not bought anything yet. But i'd like to use the boards. So 7pin is a must and the signal path should be near the same (small changes no problem).

Any ideas on that? I have read the first and last 30 pages of the SS thread. I know that there is a 12au7 variant around. But since this tube is 8pin, it's out of question.

Your help is much appreciated!

Rock on
Dominik

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #67 of 392
I hope you realised the boards are for the 12AU7 not the 19J6 they are just too expensive to use

cheers
FRED

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #69 of 392
Lol... I never thought about counting the holes on the tube sockets... And now that you say it, I just read it in the OP. My bad. And yes, very happy :wink: thanks. I'll report back as I progress!

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 4

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #70 of 392
Hey,
i have to come back at you again. As i'm shopping for tubes, i stuble upon ECC82 tubes. Are they identical to the 12au7 tubes and i'm able to use them or is there a specific difference?

Rock on
Dominik

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #73 of 392
Sep 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #74 of 392
  quick question, 

Other than the 12AU7 tube instead of 19J6, is this the basic BOM? http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/bom/SSMH.htm 

Watch out, don't make the same mistake that i did. R2/R8 is 390k for the 12au7 version.
Just finished mine...working prefectly apart from a slight hum. (maybe some better grounding but WIP). Used a ODAC as a source and a Senn hd600. Clean as a whistle. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back